8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 Sound Crackle/Pops

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 Sound Crackle/Pops
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2007 05:20 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, after a few months of working pretty smoothly my GS1200 is acting up again. Now it's making loud crackle/pop noises on the main audio track. I was having this problem a while ago and someone gave me a great tip of flipping the record switches to self clean them and it took care of it. Now it's back and the quick fix solution isn't working. It sounds like some kind of magnetic interference. Is there something that has to be cleaned to help with this problem. Please let me know if anyone has any easy solutions to this problem. I can't send the projector off to Leon Norris again because that is too overwhelming right now... [Confused]

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 03, 2007 06:26 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
It might be that the record switches need a clean with switch cleaner. It's not the easiest of jobs to do though. Is this a really loud noise and do you get it the instant you turn the machine on.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 03, 2007 08:12 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev - Thanks for your help. The popping starts as soon as you put the projector in play mode. It is not there during rewind mode, optical playback, and it also doesn't seem to be there when I turn up just the Right Track volume. Also, I just did some recording and it doesn't seem to be recording the popping... As far as loudness, that seems to fluctuate. It gets louder the higher the volume is and it comes through the internal speaker as well as the two output jacks. If the film has a very loud soundtrack it can sort of drown it out.

Is there a chance it will subside on it's own again? If you are saying a "switch clean" job isn't easy than it would probably be near impossible for me. I must add that the projector was (supposedly) given an overhaul cleaning just a couple months ago. My repair person cleaned the amp because of a similiar problem with static noise. He also changed transistors, capasitors, and resisters on the sound board... so you would think I should not be having sound problems so soon.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 04, 2007 05:56 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, Ok thanks god its not what I thought it might be. The GS does have a problem with the Sound output IC which gives a loud popping noise but it would not be affected by the vol control and you would record it.

I think you problems is still one of switches. I think you may need to get into the amp and clean the switches with a good quality switch cleaner.

Its also worth turning all controls and also insert a jack into all the jack sockets as some of those can cause problems.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted March 05, 2007 04:14 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev, while we are on the subject and I am still trying to find time to repair my flutter problem with your fine instructions, is it that difficult to get to the volume, bass, treble pots and record switches, to spray them with tuner cleaner?

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 06, 2007 05:26 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
With a quick answer....Yes.

You have to remove the side cover over the meters and then you can get to some of them but to do the job perfectly you need to strip them amp section as per the instructions in the service manual.

Kev.

--------------------

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 06, 2007 10:07 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kev - My repair person (Leon Norris) has given me a quick fix idea instead of opening up the machine and trying to clean the amps. He says I should just tap the audio knobs with the handle of the screwdriver and it should clear up the static popping. I will not be with my GS until the weekend so I can't try it till then... but I think the idea sounds a little "screwy"(pardon the pun). Do you think a few simple taps can cure the popping sound? I'm hoping it will but it sounds too good to be true.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 06, 2007 10:10 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well best of luck with the tapping. I will wait to see what the outcome is.

Don't tap too hard though as you may do more harm than good. [Eek!]

Kev.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC