8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200: differences on later machines

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200: differences on later machines
Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2007 06:29 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if Elmo tried to save production costs on the later GS1200 machines. This is what I noticed on a newer one, compared to a machine of the first (forward loop) generation:

- no coloured marks on knobs
- no heat protection glass on still projection filter
- no ground connection of flywheel
- dust cover made of thin plastic instead of "leather like"

On the other hand, they changed the film path design on the later machines, which may have been a cost factor.

However, great machine and great fun to work with it...

Joerg

|  IP: Logged

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 09, 2007 07:16 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Joerg, Where did you see this machine? All the GS's have a heat filter unless it has the Wittner adjustable 2/3 blade shuutter mod when they have to remove the heat filter and dissable the pause function.

All the later Elmo's I have seen have the coloured lines on the function Switches except for the Mono/Stereo and Mag/Optical switches which have white lines on black knobs

I have not seen a GS without the sprung Earthing strip on the Flywheel except for a few Xenon machines where Elmo have added and extra Fan transformer which left no room for the spring.

Cant comment on the dust cover.

Have you got pics of this machine?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2007 07:25 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin, this is a machine I bought on ebay last week. I'm just about to strip it down in order to build in a 2 blade shutter and noticed the differences compared to my older machines. I can provide some photos tomorrow...

Joerg

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted March 09, 2007 08:13 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed the difference in the dust covers. Some of them, like the one I had on my series 1 GS1200 was very thick and robust while one of the ones I had on one of the later GS1200's was very thin. Almost paperlike. However that being said, the one that came with my NOS GS1200, a later model machine, that one had the thick Dust cover.

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 09, 2007 08:28 PM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The motor labels are dated 1986-1987. I think these are the original motors, because there's nearly no sign of wear on the machine. When did Elmo stop production of the GS 1200?

Here are some pics:

- knobs without coloured lines (only main function knobs have colour)
- heat filter without glass (metal part only)
- missing ground connection (obviously never fitted because screw hasn't got the required length to hold the part)

-

-

-

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted March 10, 2007 07:04 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I cant really make any further comments. Very late machines I have seen still have the coloured knobs and heat filter with glass. Be interesting to know the serial number of your machine as it could be part of the last production.

We have a collection of serial numbers on a very early thread so we could see if this is one of the last machines produced.

My own GS Xenon is a very late machine and it still has the coloured controls.

With regard to the Earthing spring, I wonder if someone has snapped off the screw. I have never seen a machine where the screw doesnet protrude through the circuit board.

You will get static problems without that Earthing spring on polyester prints.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Joerg Niggemann
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2007 06:03 AM      Profile for Joerg Niggemann   Email Joerg Niggemann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't seem to me that there was any modification done on that machine. As I said, it looks nearly new.

I know from my other GS's that without the earth spring, sound will be bad especially on optical prints where you can hear electrostatic discharge. I will check that on the "new" one.

Serial Number is 832446

Marco Pauck
Junior

- posted April 16, 2007 09:38 AM      Profile for Marco Pauck   Email Marco Pauck   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some more food for the statistics:

Serial 828690:
- No ground connection
- Metal heat filter
- Colored marks on knobs

Marco

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC