8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » marketings mystery 3-parters march 83

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: marketings mystery 3-parters march 83
Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2007 04:02 PM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ August 07, 2008, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2007 02:48 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas,

I don't believe these ever saw the light of day, there was also another list of 3x400's supposedly coming out from Marketing/Paramount that included "My Bloody Valentine", "Conquest of Space" (I would have liked a copy of that) and of all things a "Chalie Brown" animated feature.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2007 03:28 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well if the boxoffice performance of Grease 2 was any indication they never should have come out! We had a 70mm print of Grease 2 on its first release and it ran for one week.

Raiders on the other hand ran at the Theatre I worked at for one year in 70mm and another 6 months in 35mm.

I would love to have Charlie Brown on Super 8.

David

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 30, 2007 03:37 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never seen prints of these two!,I believe FRIDAY THE 13TH was also due to be released in that batch along with MEATBALLS with Bill Murray & LITTLE DARLINGS with Tatum O Neil.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 30, 2007 06:41 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating to see quality publicity material of that kind. Certainly shows that Marketing didn't 'throw in the towel' anywhere near as fast as some companies did.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 30, 2007 11:12 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Marketing is always in my heart.

They were perfect in terms of print quality (after 1977 upward) and in terms of packaging!. And moreover (esp. in German prints) the availiability of the titles is so vatious and 3 parter version is PERFECT! (forget that about the ending [Razz] )

Andreas, you should make a history of Marketing. I know you have a lot of information about it.

cheers

--------------------
Winbert

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2007 02:43 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've already got Andreas working on that one Winbert!

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2007 06:29 AM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By and large Marketing stuff was great.It would have been nice if they gave us a glimpse of original titles....... [Wink] Having said that,Once Upon a Time in The West had it's wonderful title sequence,best part of the film!

--------------------
Trevor

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2007 07:19 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Marketing were good. I particularly like the later boxes which had proper corners and had good artwork. I particularly like the images of other titles available. They certaintly had some top titles like Saturday Night Fever and Grease. [Smile]

Shame about the end titles missing [Frown]

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 01, 2007 07:19 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreus, will you be able to do that history for the FFTC mag as well,(if not already planned),
that would be good write up,

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2007 03:28 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WOT? WOT? You don't subscribe to smallformat Tom? You mean you've missed our wonderful series on the history of the package movie?

How can you live without it???

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 02, 2007 12:14 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] you got me there Johno!!!
I'm going to be totally dim on this,
excuse my ignorance,
how do i subscribe and is the mag in English, i understood this to be only in a foriegn laungauge, [Embarrassed] now i do feel a right t**t

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 02, 2007 02:03 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,

You can subscribe to the english language Small Format here. You might want to order back issues to read the earlier installments by Mr. Wilton and Mr. Clancy.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 02, 2007 04:50 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, I wouldn't be suprised if there were at least "test prints" of these three parters out there, probably hed onto by some happy people somewhere. Raiders certianly had great potential and, I believe, Raiders was a big seller. I'm suprised then, that they never went forward with the three parter, unless Speilberg, having seen the 400ft. edition and not being happy with it, put the kibosh on the three parter.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Trevor Adams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 02, 2007 06:13 PM      Profile for Trevor Adams   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be nice if the "History of Film Digests" could be posted-for us "off the world" characters! [Smile]

--------------------
Trevor

Andreas Eggeling
Master Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2007 01:26 AM      Profile for Andreas Eggeling     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ August 07, 2008, 09:15 AM: Message edited by: Andreas Eggeling ]

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 03, 2007 02:04 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Rumour at the time was that Spielberg had to give his blessing to the 400' edit, so he must have seen it, and you must admit whoever was the editor on this reel did a superb job. I think the reason that none of the other films mentioned (inc. the 3x400' of "Raiders") didn't come out was simply money, I believe Marketing Films International who did all the Paramount releases out of New York, went under with big debts, as the VHS phenomanan kicked in, leaving parent company Marketing Films of Germany trundling along for a couple of more years. Derek Simmonds told me once he tried to find some of the Marketing International negs to do possible re-prints, but were told they were impounded at the Technicolor labs in the U.S., as royalties had not been paid on a lot of the titles, so they were seized. It's a shame really, as they had some great titles, all primed for re-printing!

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2007 08:36 AM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have the 3-part edition of "Airplane." It is well-edited, with outstanding color, but my only complaint is that each reel measures only about 280 - 300' of film. I assume this is due to the rising cost of film at the time. Also, my 400' print of "When Worlds Collide" contains only about 250' of film. In each of these cases, the reels are complete, as in leader, Marketing International logo, film titles and end titles are all there, with no splices in the film. Has anyone else experienced digests with less that 300' of film?

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 23, 2007 08:44 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Carter. I think that you will find that although there appears to be 300ft of film on the reel, there is actually nearer 400ft. This was because the Marketing Releases were on polyester stock which is thinner material, therefore not taking up as much "reel space". A good indication as to the exact amount of film on the reels is the running time.
Merry Christmas.

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 23, 2007 12:59 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought release number 2402 GREASE at Blackool this year. It's in a 400' carton with the label "200' selected scene edition Super 8 colour/magnetic sound 170ft."

The colour is still good (SP) with superb sound. It runs 8 minutes and is mounted on a 200' spool, marked "englisch."

A touch of the short change here.

Maurice

--------------------
Maurice

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 24, 2007 04:42 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andreas has written his piece about Marketing-Film for the next edition of 'smallformat'. Juergen has a wealth of box covers to make use of as well as the fabulous information Andreas has come up with. This one should be a cracker.

Oh, and Universal 8 are included in this issue too.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC