8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo SC18

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo SC18
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 13, 2007 02:14 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone serviced an Elmo SC18, just bought a very nice newey one and wondered where I should start after the new belts and bulb.
What sort of grease in the UK etc.
Saying that they are still OK ( bulb and belts ), origional and nearly 30 years old, WOW.
Best wishes Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 13, 2007 02:33 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark,Paul Foster has the belts on his website and could probably supply a bulb too regards Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 13, 2007 03:05 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I would remove the back and just check to see if the grease has gone hard or not. If the grease is ok then leave well alone.
I have seen a lot of machines where people have applied copious amounts of grease to all the cogs etc which ultimately results in a machine which doesnt run well because the grease gets flicked into places where you dont want it.

If the grease has hardened then it will need to be cleaned off with spirit and then fresh grease applied but sparingly.

Craig Hamilton got some grease for me for use on plastic cogs etc which is really good. Its a blue colour but I cant remember the name.

Craig if you read this can you let us have the name please.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 13, 2007 04:21 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the good advice Kev, I`ll have a peep in the back tonight and see how the grease is, I`m sure belts will be a help as well.
Is there a rule on greasing the Claw Mechanism, nice little machines these.
Thanks, Mark.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted October 14, 2007 08:41 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
I would leave the claw mech alone. That area is normally very well greased up in the factory and its a graphite based type grease which from my experience never goes hard. The trouble comes when people shove other types of grease in that area which then mixes with what's there and causes problems.

If all the other grease looks ok then I would leave the claw etc alone.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 14, 2007 09:09 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Kev, I think I will just go with new belts and a bulb then. Elmo`s just whay are they so good and nice.
Best Mark.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 14, 2007 11:27 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have one of those years ago. I'm sure it has the usual 100w lamp, so you could probably make it brighter with a Xenophot. But if you are happy with the amount of light, why not use the original bulb? You could always give the pins a rub with emery paper if they have ceased to look suitably shiney.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC