8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A Gathering Of Eagles - Rock Hudson

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Gathering Of Eagles - Rock Hudson
Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2007 07:59 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know who released the Universal Film Production of the Rock Hudson movie about the Strategic Air Command on Super 8? I have obtained a B/W 400ft version (the actual film was in colour). Has it been released in any other lengths? My gut instinct tells me it may have been Powell Films. This is only based on the fact that Powell Films seemed to have released quite a few B/W versions of colour films (I know Mountain did as well, but I don't think this is a Mountain print). This may be one for young Mr.Attwood to answer. [Smile]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2007 08:50 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"A Gathering of Eagles" this did star Rock Hudson, but as to the 8mm distributor it does not ring any bells for me, it could be Powell Films, as they did have a limited contract with Universal, and all their titles were released as B/W prints, but I'm not sure, it could also be a U.S, import as well. Perhaps a Forum member can clear this one up.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2007 08:53 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your input Barry. It's unusual to have you "stumped" I must say [Smile]

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2007 03:54 PM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Keith,

The trouble is that the Powell releases were a little before even my time, I started collecting in 1978, and I believe his deal was around 1975-76, so they had been and gone, if you know what I mean, and it's only recently that I've been finding out more about these Powell releases, as I recently have been re-reading some old Movie Maker's and Film Making's which do give you more of a guide from those earlier days. It most probably was amongst the Powell releases, but never caught my attention until now.

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2007 04:26 PM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Barry, I've just watched the 400ft version and found on the "tail" - "Powell Films - Reel 2 (6)". It's not a bad little cutdown really. Obviously the plot is very basic but you couldn't expect too much. If I remember, the full version was very much a re-vamp of "Twelve O'Clock High" with Hudson playing the Peck role of "unlikeable" commander". At least the question has been answered and we are both now wiser, as they say. Hopefully see you tomorrow at Ealing. Regards Keith

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC