8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bluish tint to Derann films question ...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bluish tint to Derann films question ...
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 19, 2007 04:24 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious, the slightly bluish tint to some of Derann's prints, is this something more common in recent releases, or has it been there over the years?

I just ask as I notice that my earlier Derann prints, (Star Wars ect.) have a perfect spectrum, but some of my later prints, (Fantasia 2000 especially) tend to have a bluish quality to them.

Of course, it's great to have them in the first place, but it is a curiosity, to be sure ...

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 19, 2007 04:44 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to generalise but maybe that tendency goes back roughly to about the mid 1990s. I'm sure that with 'Fantasia 2000', however, it's connected to the negative as I'm sure that years ago I spoke to one or two Derann staff members that said they had done all they could to minimise the bluish look. It's a shame as I don't think any of the other Disney features have a tint of this sort.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted October 19, 2007 05:20 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a few of my Derann prints seem to favor the blue end of the spectrum. I don't really like it as it gives the picture a 'cold' feel. But in a positive light, a bluish print gives you some built-in protection against fading to pink. So maybe as these prints age they will actually become better?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted October 19, 2007 05:37 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of the films do seem to be more prone to being a bit on the blue side,some seem to hold it a bit more at bay, some lovely, but I have to say although I only buy trailers generally these days from the Derann boys and had a fair few this year they have all been super prints and looked better than 16mm to my mind in many ways.
Its right what Adrian said, even a agfa from the early 90s is superb. I had Total Recall on that 4/3 and it was truly awesome.
But I still think what we get now is superb and frankly amazing its still with us.
Best Mark.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 20, 2007 10:34 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True words Mark.

Although there is a bluish tint, they are still appreciated. In the case of "Fantasia 2000", I note the bluish tint more on the reel with "The Brave Tin Solgier". Perhaps, could it also involve the film lab used and a potential change in stock used?

I have never seen this problem in thier earlier AGFA prints.
I really do have to say that i find the AGFA stock to be superior to the Eastman L.P.P. (That is no fault to Derann of course). I have a print of "Hoppity Goes To Town" , a 1977 AGFA print, and the colour is truly pristine, even after 30 years. It reminds me a perfect Technicolor.

It has been noted on this forum in the past, (rightfully so), that there has been a tendency in film-making to moving towards a "bluish spectrum". I've noticed this more in science fiction films, or darker films in general. Another example is
"Dark City" an excellent film!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2007 02:14 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In some cases, for example, Derann's excellent print of "Independence Day" they had to use a 35mm positive print to make a 16mm Scope interneg, as this film was made using the super 35mm system, which is similar to the old Todd-AO whereas the release prints are squeezed in the labs. So this does suffer from bluish sections in certain places, and this is directly attributed to how the 35mm print was made in the first place. I am a regular goer to the cinema, and I have noticed over the last few years how this tendancy of some of the 35mm prints to have a blue bias, I don't know why, it's not on every title, but some definatly have it. Thus when 8mm prints are struck from 35mm positive prints (i.e. cinema prints), whatever is on the 35mm print, be it a bluish tint etc., will be passed onto 8mm prints. As this seems to be quite a common occurance on 35mm prints these days I doubt if there is much to be done about the 8mm prints, still I'd rather have a slight bluish tint than no print at all.

David Pannell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2007 01:56 PM      Profile for David Pannell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last print I purchased from Derann's was "The Ladykillers" which also had the blue tint, but, however I distinctly remember the 'original' as screened in cinemas, was also blueish.

In this particular case, the wet London streets and the railway scenes - mostly shot at night - would seem to have an almost naturally blue hue - and for me, in this particular film, it certainly adds to the atmosphere of the black comedy genre.

"Was this done on purpose"? I ask you - I hear you ask!!

--------------------
Dave.

Valves and celluloid - a great combination!
Early technology rules OK!

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2007 02:33 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth, a few years ago I bought the last reel of the original Die Hard from Leon Norris.....it , too , was blue....nice rhyme....it, too was blue....but anyway I was disappointed in it from several aspects...blue, darker than the original ...and the sound wasn't quite tip top. Right after the film arrived, Die Hard was on television..with much more natural color renditions.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC