8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » universal 8 super 100 series catalog question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: universal 8 super 100 series catalog question
Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2007 04:53 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not know untill recently that several U 8 titles came out in sound in 100 foot versions, how many of the horror scifi titles can be obtained this way? and while im at it, how many U8 400 fotters are there? (Doug im looking towards you! hahaha...)

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 21, 2007 06:03 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eric,

I'm sure we've done a thread about U-8 horrors (I'll check). But in the meantime, here's what U-8 released in their great scene series:

Earthquake:
The Destruction of Los Angeles (Running time 4:33)

Jesus Christ Superstar:
The Title Production Number (4:41)

The Great Waldo Pepper:
The Dog Fight (4:53)

Airport:
The Explosion (4:47)

Frenzy:
The Rape (4:37)

Psycho:
The Complete Shower Murder (4:42)

The Bride of Frankenstein:
The Creation (4:41)

The Naughty Nineties (Abbott & Costello):
Who's on First? (4:47)

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Eric Baucher
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2007 08:47 PM      Profile for Eric Baucher   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Baucher   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks doug, would love to have the two hitchcock ones....but I have never actually seen them anywhere ever. gues theres always some films you cant get.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2007 01:35 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately except for the Abbott & Costello routine (which is of course B/W), the 100 series has suffered the most from fade over the years (strange, but true!), so if you find one then make sure it's OK before buying.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 22, 2007 09:36 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have Frenzy, Earthquake, Bride of Frankenstein and Who's On First.
Barry is right about the fade. The strange part is that U-8 figured there wasn't enough "destruction" in Earthquake to fill up 4:33 so they included the ending with Charlton Heston and Ava Gardner.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 22, 2007 02:55 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to say, i dont mind a good well edited 400 footer now and again but i could never see any point in the 100ft series.
Universal films to be suffering more in my collection on fade than others, those 2 x 400footer were good,
Iver films films also did the "midi" features at 3 x 400,
definatly the best size for an abridged version.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC