8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Fletcher Films 8mm & Video?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fletcher Films 8mm & Video?
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 22, 2007 08:48 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was in my local favourite vinyl record shop last week and spotted this video in it. I noticed it was from Fletcher Video who I knew more as Fletcher Films.

Does anyone have any more information on Fletcher as I would like to learn more about them?

It looks like Fletcher went along the lines of Walton and tried a hand at Video releases.

Here is part of the VHS video box.
 -

|  IP: Logged

Dave Alligan
Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2007 09:43 AM      Profile for Dave Alligan   Email Dave Alligan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee

I have a Fletcher 8mm catalogue

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2007 10:24 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fletcher were a really penny pinching outfit,you usually got 300ft on a 400ft spool as per SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME,COME PLAY WITH ME,THE PLAYBIRDS etc,the quality of there prints was usually poor too,I believe they got there fingers burnt when the Video Recording Act came into play in 1984,which outlawed most of there imported video tapes,they also had a few issues with Video nasties such as DEEP RED.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 22, 2007 10:50 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dave..That sound VERY interesting and I certainly would love to see that.

Mark.. If memory is still intact this end I think that was one of Dario Argento films. I used to like his work when I was wee bit younger and even took Dark Side magazine which was fun at that time.

Betty Boop is more my mark these days..

Do have a few Fletcher 8mm flicks and growing interest in the business which brought us true bootlace cinema releases.
Happy memories.

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2007 03:02 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fletcher Films were a very funny outfit, some of there later releases like "The Shape of Things to Come" were crap films, but decent 8mm prints (for once), again as was usual for them, there 400's ran for about 13 minutes, but they ended abruptly, this was because about 3 months later they announced a part 2 was coming out, and guess what, it took up the story from where part 1 finished. They did this with the Mary Millington sex comedies "Come Play With Me" & "The Playbirds". They did quite a few Railway films, and some of those are quite good, especially the B/W ones. They also did some edited features from films that were in the public domain, notably the Sabu film "The Jungle Book" which was released under another title, but strangely has a better print than the F/L imported feature, as Fletcher's came from a decent non-faded print, and has quite good colour. Another film like this was the Fleischer animated "Gulliver's Travels" again there print was the match (or slightly better than Derann's print) for any print around. It's worth looking out for these 2 titles, as the colour has held up quite well on them.

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2007 07:53 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee, I'm glad there's someone else out there who used to partake in Dark Side magazine. Went a bit smutty and cheesy so I eventually dumped it. Deep Red was Argento, made many years ago when he was still good.

I used to have a print of Gulliver's Travels (2x400ft), which I think was a Fletcher film. I also had a couple of 'Fletcher Funnies', but got rid of them many years ago.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC