8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Let's remember people in California USA

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Let's remember people in California USA
Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 24, 2007 08:31 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're really going through much of what the people during Katrina went through, need our prayers and support - Might be friends of ours, but they are friends really , Shorty

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 24, 2007 10:57 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is sad to see, but fortunately, i have noticed that these fires tend to happen in the rich districts, so while they have lost thier houses; with all thier insurance, they'll no doubt rebuild.

My wife and I talked about this a lot, and I bet the people in these rich neighborhoods ought to hire a covert person with a video camera, (Sadly, Super 8mm wouldn't do for this), and catch these SOB'S who are starting the fires!

I'm convinced that someone is starting these fires. You ever notice that these fires are not ravaging trailer home parks?

No, it's always these rich districts.

Probably some over-zealous enviromentalists who are mis-guidingly trying to protect some "rare rat" who happens to live in the same area. Honestly, this kind of thing has happened AND been proved before.

However, i do feel sad for them as well. Good post.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 24, 2007 11:31 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two dear friends in Malibu. They live on the hills, where the fires rage. Just got a text message that they were OK.
Firefighters are obviously doing a tremendous job. Kudos.
Hopefully, the arsonist will be caught.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 24, 2007 12:15 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to travel to San Diego and Tijuana a lot for work (Electronics), and I have a lot of friends out there. The last three days most businesses have been closed and Interstate 5, the main North-South highway is closed because the visibility is often zero due to the smoke.

That part of California is extremely dry, basically always on the edge of a drought. I guess all it took was a slight further dip in humidity and the vegetation became a tinderbox.

We had something similar happen here in 1995. Our forestlands out east were catching fire almost daily. We had fire crews from four counties holding the flames back from people's houses and they were fortunately very successful.

I've never looked at a rainstorm quite the same way ever since. Nature thrives in balance, and just enough rain is a very good thing.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 24, 2007 01:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true as well Steve, (you know, tis topic should probzbly be in "gerneral yak")

One of the problems in building in a forested area is that forest fires can and will happen naturally. It's part ofthe cycle of life.

I appreciated on "60 minutes" this last Sunday, when they did a report on this last year being one of the largest fire seasons on record. The forestry service said (honestly) that a large part of the reason for these major fires was due to the policies they have been following over the past 100 years ...

... that being, the forestry service id it's best to stop fires as quick as they could before they could eat up lots of timberland. by doing this, they allowed a lot of thick undergrowth to build up over the years, which would usually be burn up regularly by fires. With the excessive undergrowth drying out, this made for excellent tinder for major fires like we are seeing now. of course they didn't know the ramifications of thier actions back then.

... and the funny thing is, before there were forestry services, the forests existed for 1000's of years, thru fire after fire. It seems like he forests themselves could take care of themselves without our managing them!

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 24, 2007 02:18 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, nature goes on, continuously changing. We're the fragile ones really. When they put out forest fires they are certainly saving human life and buildings, and preserving standing timber for future lumbering, but the forest itself couldn't care less!

There are actually many species of trees that require fire in order for their cones to open and their seeds to drop to the forest floor. They just hang out waiting for the undergrowth to be wiped out so their "kids" won't have so much competition. Suppressing fire actually endangers these trees.

Planned burns are being done these days to allow this cycle to continue without endangering people when it runs amok, as it eventually has to if the fuel is never burned off.

Yep! This is a General Yak if there ever was one!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 24, 2007 07:01 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very good news to report about the fire situation!

Police shot and killed a man caught in the act of setting another fire. it ought to be interesting to find out if this was just some random arsonist OR some militant environmentalist.

(By the way folks, don't get me wrong. i don't have a thing against envorinmentalist. In fact I consider myself one, but these militants don't care about who they hurt)

... and they also are tracking down a second person that someone phoned ina call saying that they saw someone else starting another fire.

Forgive my french, but I hope that they nail the bastard!

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2007 11:15 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the kind words.

The fires came within about 3 miles of us but were happy to not need to evacuate. Yes, arson is suspect in about half of the cases, while more than one (including the Malibu fire) were caused by power lines downed by the unbelievable winds (gusts 60-100 MPH for days on end). And the latest San Diego fire began from an accident inside a house. Well, I presume it was an accident.

Unfortunately our friends in San Diego and in the San Bernardino mountains are not faring as well. I am horrified and sorry for them.

To be sure, there are wealthy communities involved because these fires are all in areas where open space is adjacent to homes. However, I can assure you that far more of us are just everyday homeowners having a tremendous fright. And this isn't about environmentalists. There are some way sick people who love to see things burn, and that's what I expect to be revealed about all of this. That's part of life here in Southern California, and it keeps happening when the weather is like this.

Where did you hear about the arson suspect being shot and killed?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 25, 2007 03:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

It was stated on NBC news last night, (5:30 p.m. mountain time).

I hope that they catch all the rest, and force thier noses into the burnt earth, tie them up and leave them in the midst of the now homeless people and let THEM decide what would be a just penalty.

Hey, if you just put them in prison for the rest of thier lives, that isn't just. They'll never be able to pay off finacially what they have caused.

One neat (less violent) idea i have, is actually have the SOB's constructing the homes of those who's lives they have wrecked.

Show them the bodies of all the dead pets/animals, (particularly affective if thier environmentalists) and wasn't thier an actual HUMAN fatality?

Yes, there ARE penalties for arsonists. It isn't some "victimless crime."

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2007 05:16 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like your idea of justice.

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2007 12:47 PM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very commendable and heartfelt comments,that I have no doubt.But what about the same things that happened in Greece in the summer? Not many,if any words for them.Perhaps there were no rich people to worry about and no 8mm film makers either.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 26, 2007 01:21 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sincerely Barry, i didn't even know about the fires Greece, my apologies, they have lives too, and feel for thier loss.

--------------------

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 26, 2007 02:07 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry you make a good point, the fires in Greece were utterly devestating, ruining both lives and livelihoods. Maybe no more or less so than the fires in California but certtainly on a par.

And also largely started by arsonists I believe...

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC