8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Soft sound stripe scrapes off

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Soft sound stripe scrapes off
Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2007 11:32 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely someone knows something about this. I'm prepping the 1943 Batman reels for its first show in our family room theater, and for the price I paid am pleased with the overall condition, though not mint.

Reel 13 (how appropriate) seems to suffer from a manufacturing problem so that the middle half of the reel has the main sound stripe soft and can be scratched off in quite a few places. This is a discontinuous problem that seems to vary with each turn of the reel. From the looks of the print a great deal of it came off in the former owner's projector. Perhaps something was spilled on it? But no evidence of this. There is an occasional strange mark on the base side which lends strength to the idea of this being faulty from the start.

Of course my only remedy is to replace the reel or to project it with double system sound. But getting ahold of the sound via video seems a little pointless -- isn't that why I got the films in the first place? :-)

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted October 25, 2007 01:14 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill,

I also had a film where the main stripe was starting to come off in one small area. As a preventitive measure, I did a track to track sound transfer on the GS-1200. It was just a matter of connecting the track 1 aux out jack to the track 2 aux in track. Now at least I have the audio on the balance stripe in case the rest of the main stripe should decide to jump ship.

Unfortunately in your case, there's a great deal of the main stripe missing. If your balance stripe is in decent shape you can use that second track. Possibly a friendly Forum member who also has chapter 13 can e-mail you an audio file for you to re-record. It's a pain, but if I sat through 12 chapters, I'd want to hear the 13th!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 25, 2007 03:28 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ran into that on my feature print of "Flying Tigers" (John Wayne). I think that sometime in the future I will restripe that particular reel and use the DVD copy to do a re-record.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2007 11:46 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Doug & Osi. Unless someone here wants to 'fess up to having a DVD, I think I can cover this through the local library, though from VHS. So with the pulse sync system and GS-1200 I ought to be able to re-record the balance stripe or simply project with double-system sound. But in either case I'll have to use the GS -- none of my others will play the balance stripe.

So then, how would you re-stripe, Osi? You'd have to remove the original stripe first, wouldn't you, and how do you do that?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC