8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Rambling Thoughts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rambling Thoughts
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2007 12:56 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When a description for a film print is described as 'RARE PRINT'; think under cooked meat. You know.....PINK.

[Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 28, 2007 01:51 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Much agreement on that Chip. That and collectors that appear to have had the prints for years, and yet will say, "Have not viewed the print in years, so I don't know the color." Bull-pucky!! Most don't sell the print, (without a color check), unless they already KNOW the fade!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 30, 2007 12:57 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi

I can agree with your comments. I bought optical films from a guy near Chicago a few years ago. I believe his name was Rod's Projector Shop (on the return address on shipents...this was NOT the Ebay seller's name). He described the films as good to perfect, yet they were each far less than that. On the final item I bid, he was selling two films in one can. It was obvious they were different spools, one larger than the other thanks to the photos. So I bid high and won. When the box arrived, it was two very faded, unrunnable optical films. They were BOTH the same movie, two different copies. One was shorter than the other because it was missing a reel. And it would have been impossible to combine the two features to make a complete one, because the larger spool was complete already. To add fuel to this fire, I already had the title in question to begin with. I kept the films and have cut them up into 400 footers as test reels or whatever in the future. So I do have use for them. But in the end, this wasn't right. I got taken. And I believe he knew it.

So the next time you read something that sounds to good to be true...do your homework folks. Ask the questions ask for picture frame samples. If they can't provide it bid low and hope you win or cancel out altogether.

Chip

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC