8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A Message for Kevin Faulkner!! (and everyone else!)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A Message for Kevin Faulkner!! (and everyone else!)
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 07, 2007 02:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Kevin, I'm happy to say that I got "Close Encounters" scope feature in the mail

But as I do with any cherished print, i look at the film stock first. I noted that though uit says "Eastman", I don't seethe common L.P.P. following it. I'll give it a closer look, but I'm fairly sure that by the time this print was namufactured, there was no bad fade Eastman around anymore.

As one of the few lucky devils who own (or owned) this print, could you verify for me as to what stock it was? I have heard that not all L.P.P. stocks are tated as such, but are L.P.P., just the same.

In the near future, I will do my review of this print!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Christopher Quinn
Film Handler

- posted November 07, 2007 03:14 PM      Profile for Christopher Quinn   Email Christopher Quinn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking forward to your review of this, Osi!

I recently saw the film in the cinema and it was a completely different experience to watching it on TV. It's a film that really benefits from being projected, particularly for the spectacular climax with Douglas Trumbull's stunning special effects but also for more subtle nuances like the 'star' that follows Dreyfuss's truck through the night. And like most Spielberg films, watching it with an audience always adds to the experience.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 07, 2007 05:41 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Osi ddi you lookm along at a few parts at the red writting as may be blotted out on a psrocket hole.
But if the colour is spot on its probaly LPP anyway.
Best Mark.
PS can you see any numbers etc or also the small circles and sqaures triangles etc date code should be 3 symbols.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 07, 2007 11:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did see symbols and I'll look at it again.

I do know that it's the original 1977 edition, so while it doesn't have the "inside the Mother ship" 2 minutes near ther end of the film, it does have other stuff added in. The original release was 135 minutes, while the special edition was 132 minutes, and that's with the Mother ship editions on the end of the film!

More on that when I do the actual review!

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 08, 2007 12:11 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

The super 8 print of Close Encounters is the "Special Edition" that was released in 1980.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 08, 2007 05:41 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Doug is spot on it is the Special Edition. I will check my copy tonight but I'm sure it says Kodak LPP along the edge of mine. Kodak LPP was launched in 1982 but there would have been a changeover period as the labs would exhaust their remaining stocks of Eastman SP before ordering in the new LPP.
I have certainly seen prints which have been released later than 1982 on SP which backs that theory up.

I do think that the very late batches of SP have held up quite well which suggests that Kodak were probaly applying some of the changes to the old stocks before launching the product with it's new name.

The thing is what is the colour like on your print. Do you have good blacks on those night scenes which is where I would think you will see any redness first if it were to start to fade. How are the greens and blues?
Is your print Stereo?

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 08, 2007 06:26 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

I posted a very topic a couple years ago here.

I got an Elvis reel with "Eastman" written between the sprockets but the colours are so good.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 08, 2007 10:06 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin,

We may have a REEL mystery here, and I'm not kidding!

When I was spooling this onto 600ft reels, (it was originally on those ELMO 1200ft reels, which, while pretty, I can't use), I knew exactly where the extra footage of the inside of the Mother ship was. Neary turns his head, to look back at Jillian, who smiles and waves goodbye. He then turns back and walk forward into the Mother Ship.

This is then where we see that new footage from the 1980 "Special edition" when we are actually inside the Mother Ship, (quite pretty). I can verify with complete accuracy, that THIS FOOTAGE is not in my scope feature print of Close Encounters.

Now, this REALLY begs a question:

If Derann only released the "special Edition" of Close Encounters, then where in the hell did THIS print come from?

This is the full feature, on 5X600ft reels. I have looked at scenes frame by frame and seen that the sharpness is absolutely fantastic and is in scope!

The mystery is: Did Derann actually release this print?

If not, who in the hell did? Has anybody ever heard even rumors that anyone else released Close Encounters as a scope feature?

When I watch this film, I will look for the scene of the "Kottaposki" (This is where they find the large russian shiop in the middle of the desert. this was also released in the "special Edition", but not in the original 1977.), which would be curious if THAT is in it but not the big inside Mother ship ending.

Also, could this potentially be a German release of this, as they have released in limited number some films. The fellow that i bought it from, (Bill Raish, we've talked about him before on the forum), said that he bought this from a fellow in Louisiana.

VERY INTERESTING!!

--------------------

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 08, 2007 10:37 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't help with the mystery, but if you want to sell those Elmo reels, PM me with a price! (thanks)

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 08, 2007 05:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, further info on Close Encounters :

The film stock says : Eastman, followed by an "O", a square, and an "X", and "safety film".

LO #79543 Prod #132215

PRT CRI #1 Also has at another spot 1A

or is that PRT CRT #1 as I see at another spot

Also "2ndDubR MNO or is that "mivo"?

That is the extent of info on the leader of this print

Oh, it does have perfect blacks. I have noted that the beginning scene in the desert does look slightly bright.

Also, quick question. Kevin, on your print, (being that it's the 1980 version), does it have the 1977 Columbia logo, (which has the lady coming into close-up, the "sunburst" which withdraws into the modern blue logo which moves off into the distance)? (unless this 1977 logo extended up into the 1980's

Do you know what this means? If there were two versions of Close Encounters on super 8mm in scope, (and I KNOW for a fact that this is the 1977 version), then the two versions could be combined to make a EXTENDED CUT of Close Encounters that NO ONE owns, not even on DVD!

It really is a beautiful print!

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted November 08, 2007 11:34 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

Does your print have the scene where Roy Neary trashes his house to make the model of Devils Tower? That scene was not included in the special edition.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 03:02 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well osi 0 sqaure X is 1982 film stock so as no lpp markings looks like its going to be either sp or the transitional stock if there was one if it doesnt say sp may be. There was still a lot of the sp usual one used in 82 but lets hope its the latter.
I recently got a trailer on the same for a 82 film quest for fire and its on that as well, the colour is ok too though I can see possibly a bit of something tell tale above and below the film as 1.77 ratio more or less.
Best Mark.
ps did kevs copy definately show lpp?

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 07:58 AM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Well the mystery deepens. When I bought this print of mine I was told it was LPP. I looked along the film last night at the start of both 1200ft spools and I cant see any edge signing at all. What I can say is that again it has really good blacks and colours. The other thing is that it Polyester stock and has the look and feel of LPP.

On the countdown leaders it has the title printed on it and special edition in brackets.

Now one thing I can tell you is that I have seen a print owned by another forum member and the titles are in German and not English. This suggests to me that there have been a few "under the counter" prints slip out from Germany.

Any way if it's the Derann print it should say "Special Edition" on the leader and have the full English titles and be on Polyester stock which is why mine fits very comfortably onto 2 x 1200ft spools. Derann's release was also Stereo.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 10:16 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Older stock markings are usually there to see, LPP is sometimes very faint or even off the edge.
No circles or squares or anything kev ????, best way to see even the faint ones is not to hold it up to the light but to a well lit white wall.
Best Mark.
PS I agree you can usually tell LPP as it has a certain feel and a clerer look from the side than sp, you can usually just tell.
I`m always amazed at people who have been in the hobby for yonks can`t tell you even if a film is polyester never mind LPP etc as such a critical thing.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 09, 2007 10:23 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine is in mono, and it doesn't say "special edition" on the leader. Also, the titles are in English.

I will do a VERY thorough review of this feature tonight. yes Doug, it has the whole trashing sequence!

You know what this means? It means that a person could own BOTH versions of the film, edit the two together, and have the ONLY (not even Speilberg) complete unedited cut of CE3K!!

I had assumed that this was either a german print OR english, as it does have that "color scheme" of the early to mid 80's, (good spectrum of color, but does have a slightly bluish cast!)

But hey!! Who's complaining.

The fella I bought it from (Bill Raish) said that he did have contacts ALL OVER the world, (Germany, perhaps?)

I think i might contact him again, I wonder as to just what other very rare prints this fella might have, Hmmm?

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC