8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Why I rerely seen the other part of "Astragad"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why I rerely seen the other part of "Astragad"
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 03, 2007 03:52 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always easily found "the Escape from Astragad" (as picture below) at any Ebays. In fact, this become one of a very often title who come and ago (together with "Sound of Music", "Star Wars", "Herbie" etc).

-

But "Hyperion", the second one on the right above (which is also a digest from the same film "Island at the top of the world") is not seen by me that often.

Why is that? Was "Hyperion" printed lesser than the "Astragad".

If I got the "Hyperion" can I splice together to "Astragad" to make a 400" reel.

Which one should be the first reel, "Hyperion" or "Astragad"?

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2007 05:45 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Winbert,

The HYPERION extract is a real rarity as it was never officially released by Disney due to the poor sales of the first extract however a few copies did make there way out thru the backdoor this being one of them.

Yes you can splice them both together with the HYPERION reel being the first extract,then onto ASTRAGUARD for the fiery finale..I still love that terrible back projected shot of Donald Sinden running from the red hot volcano lava,it never failed to raise a giggle wherever it was shown!

So get your high bid in ASAP.

Cheers Mark W

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2007 08:14 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Mark, you have just explained why I have 59 watchers on this auction. I knew it was not a popular title, but did not know it was a back door job. [Big Grin]

Craig

--------------------
I dream of becoming a dealer!!!!!!
Is Perry's Movies for Sale.

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2007 08:33 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes craig this extracts as rare as hen's teeth!!!

I only ever knew of one collector owning a copy,did you originally get it from Ian @ Perrys by any chance?

I hope you get a good price for it.

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2007 10:36 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, the film came from the recent truck load of cine gear that I picked up a couple of weeks ago. I am slowly sorting through this lot and separating in to category piles. Tonights fun & games are a load of trailers all staring at 99p.

This title does not interest me even though I collect the Disney shorts I never was a fan of their live action films. Regarding a good price, I am just happy to see it going to a good home.

Craig

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 03, 2007 09:17 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, I wondered if you can explain a bit more of the story behind this? Was it that Disney produced a batch of prints before deciding to not go ahead with the release, and someone then sold at least some of them instead of destroying them?

I briefly had a print in the 1980s - wish I'd held on to it!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 03, 2007 10:51 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Craig,

Can you tell me if the colour on both extracts (especially for HYPERION) are unfaded or warmth/faded?

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

Craig Hamilton
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2007 04:45 AM      Profile for Craig Hamilton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert

the prints are from Buck Labs who printed many of the Disney titles that you see listed. The colour on both extracts is very good with only the slightest of fade, more noticeable in any black scenes. The prints have not turned red or gone pink.

Craig

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 04, 2007 10:00 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark Williams wrote:

quote:
The HYPERION extract is a real rarity as it was never officially released by Disney due to the poor sales of the first extract
Mark, I just realised the above statement when I re-read this post. Why your statement about poor sales of "Astragad" is so contradictive with the fact that Astragad is the most often title come and go on Ebay. Surely, this shows that "Astragad" was a good sale at that time.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 05, 2007 02:33 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember buying "Astragad" new for a cheap price in Portland Films London, so a lot of the sales may have bean via 'bargain bins'!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2007 04:11 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi-Adrian,Winbert,

I spoke to my friend yesterday who used to own the HYPERION extract and he explained that this extract was never officially released due to some kind of copyright problem and not poor sales of the first extract as previously advised,however copies did eventually make there way out to some dealers such as Perry's Movies which is where he obtained his copy originally.

Cheers Mark W

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC