8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Beaulieu 708EL Cover required

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beaulieu 708EL Cover required
Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 04, 2007 06:59 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I order a new cover for my 708EL projector I just wondered if anyone had one available in good order.

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 04, 2007 07:01 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Lee.. I need one too! Do you mean the soft cover to protect the machine? If so...where can you order one? I haven't been able to find one.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 04, 2007 07:48 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Alan.
Good to hear from another big reel projector user and if only I had time to watch films from that 2400ft reel on the Beaulieu. [Frown]
Not sure how much you know about parts etc but just about all parts are available for our machines. I am just awaiting them to confirm stock and price so will advise shortly for you.

Very nice to hear from you and makes a change from all the negative feedback in postings past within the forum. I myself am new to Beaulieu having only recently secured one but I have fell in love with it and those massive reels. Wowee!

The machine I purchased had new audio heads fitted fairly recently which was handy and the machine runs films old and new just fine with very good sound and projected picture. Mine has 2 blade shutter fitted but I am missing the orig instruction manual. Might you be willing to scan yours if you have one and email to little me? I did get a rough photo copy one with it but its a bit poor to go with this quality machine.

My Beaulieu story...
As I child (if I ever grew up) I was a member of a Cine club way down in Kent called The Medway Movie Makers and got friendly with a chap who had the 708. I always wanted to have a 708 one day and was lucky to locate one which I now have and am very pleased with. A solid bit of kit which runs well for its age with plenty of power from its amp.

Better get on with some work. As soon s I have the prices and stock details I will forward re cover. ASAP.

Best wishes, and so nice to contact another Beaulieu fan.

If you can help with the manual scans it would be great.
Mail to

richardhearnesociety@tiscali.co.uk

TA.

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 04, 2007 08:09 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lee!
Thanks for the informative reply. The picture with its micrometric focusing is a beauty. Also once the film is laced up...it just purrs along. In many ways it is a very smooth and quiet machine. And the big reels! That is fantastic as well as the motor. These motors are VERY strong. I feel like they could pull a horse. [Smile]
I will scan my manual and send them to you when I can.
Thanks!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 04, 2007 08:23 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say I have never seen such accurate focus control in my life, and that Schneider lens. It’s so nice to be able to get parts though, gates; film guides even motors are all available for these machines. Another nice surprise is the weight which does not require a fork lift or truss.

Ill report back how I go on in the coming weeks using the machine but we have already fell in love with it and the sharp image from corner to corner.

-

Mark Howard
Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2007 08:57 AM      Profile for Mark Howard   Author's Homepage   Email Mark Howard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since being a lad and seeing the big ads for the 708EL in Movie Maker I've wanted one of these machines! Never found an affordable one yet, but I'll keep on looking. More than anything I love the idea of putting a full film on one reel, sitting down and enjoying the movie for once, instead of forever hovering around the projectors waiting for the next reel change. Lee, you're a jammy so-and-so.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 04, 2007 10:11 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark. Sounds as though you have waited as long as I have to get hold of one and like me we have to watch our expenditure and bide our time. In my case it has been something in the order of 26 years awaiting an affordable machine to become available perhaps ensuring I enjoy the 708 just a little bit more due to the wait. Much of it with this one is me getting all nostalgic and the memories come flooding back of spending my spare time as a single lad with the guy who had the 708 way back then, and also the fun I had watching him use it.

He used to make exceptionally long home movies and travelled the world with his Beaulieu cine camera which eventually he dropped down a glacier somewhere on one of his trips followed a year or so later by a Canon 514XLS which fell into the sea. It would be nice to locate him when next I travel down south to the Medway Town whence I came. Posh words eigh.

We fired up the 708 for 30 minutes today as I like to check out older machines from scratching films, and so laced up a continuous loop of clear new film to see if anything needed replacing. All looks OK on screen and for the risk of repeating my self, I love the focus system which is quite amazing. Sound is also very good and the amp delivers plenty of clout which will be handy for larger hall use. We have run some badly shrunken Acetate film through it along with new Poly film and the image is nice and steady.

At the end of the day we are going to have to knock a projection port through the wall as I am getting fed up lifting my GS1200 on and off the stand. As yet my wife has to learn of this but I am sure she will be pleased.

Nice machine this Beaulieu, and I did purchase it for a very reasonable price which was kind of the seller to be flexible as it was missing the cover and orig manual.

Happy projecting day.

UPDATE:
Alan, covers are still available as are other parts and they do have stock. Go to www.beaulieu.de/pages/s8_wzub1.php?rubr=s8_wzub1
You can order on line with pay pal if you wish and they are great to deal with.
Regards

A 708EL is also for sale on ebay at present should anyone be hunting for one:
Number 320189607175
also
Number 250179758956

[ December 05, 2007, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2007 07:14 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee,

Why dont you get Mr Pastry to knock you a hole in the wall as I think he's good at DIY. Just make sure you tell him how big you want it! [Big Grin]

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 05, 2007 08:56 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi young Graham.
I have only just explained my idea to the dear lady and she burst out laughing. I may have to re calculate that one....

On a more serious note. Please give our love to mum and we do hope she is feeling better. Have been thinking about you both.

XXXX Lee & Val XXXX

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC