8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » 600ft to 400ft

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 600ft to 400ft
Ethem Pekin
Junior

- posted December 09, 2007 06:11 PM      Profile for Ethem Pekin   Author's Homepage   Email Ethem Pekin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear 8mm Forum members,

I have recently bought a film from ebay.
It is 600ft reel but my Eumig 501 only takes 400ft.
Is there a way to transfer film from large reels to smaller ones?
What kind of equipment is most practical?

Could you share your opinions and experiences?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 09, 2007 07:42 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are going to do this it means you need to find some natural pause in the film about halfway through, make a cut, splice a leader on the end and a tail on the beginning. Since you can't actually watch the whole thing this is kind of awkward.

I'm a big fan of 600 footers so it kind of hurts for me to even think about cutting one down to smaller reels. They are long enough that they can be a show all by themselves: actually longer than the typical television show once the commercials are excluded.

Maybe you need to use this as an excuse to get a second projector designed for larger reels. Having a second projector is not at all excessive: if for example you show a multiple reel feature, having alternating machines means it can flow just like it's meant to. It also means if your primary machine goes down you aren't out of business.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2007 07:13 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Steve, try to buy another projector. Treat yourself this christmas. You wont regret it as it opens the door to a whole load of films and enjoyment. [Smile] [Smile]

Graham S

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2007 10:54 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ethem if possible check the hub on the 600 reel 400's have a smaller hub if you can find a reel with a small hub you might be able to fit that on it otherwise this website sells 300ft reels you can break it in half and still be able to watch it.
HP Marketing Corp. out of New Jersey PO Box 715, Pine Brook, NJ 07057
Phone: 800-735-4373 Fax: 800-282-9010
otherwise gepe is locatedd in switzerland
here is a store that may be closer to you
PLASMANS
VERKOOPMAATSCHAPPIJ B.V.
Prof. Romeinstraat 6
NL-5013 BX TILBURG
HOLLAND

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 10, 2007 02:06 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another thing to check is the length of the film. If the film is only 24 or so minutes long, then, though it's on a 600ft reel, you may be able to put it on a VERY full 400ft reel and keep from dividing it in two.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 10, 2007 02:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi speaks the truth, but very full film reels are troublesome for the same reason very full bathtubs are: sooner or later it'll come sloshing over the side and there will be a mess!

-yet I guess if you are really careful this will get you by until temptation catches up and you buy that 600ft (or more) machine.

This is the ultimate fix: Graham was right, there are a lot of great films that simply aren't available on 400 foot reels.

--------------------

Ethem Pekin
Junior

- posted December 10, 2007 06:23 PM      Profile for Ethem Pekin   Author's Homepage   Email Ethem Pekin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
many thanks for the replies.
I will update my list from the Santa!
I will consider having a machine with sound in anycase so with that I should go for a 600 or even 800 size.
At the moment my primary interest is to collect amateur voyage films or short animations. But if I continue with movies I think this havine a better projector is the only solution.

But one more question. I also see super8 editors/viewers. Can these be useful to transfer films?

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 10, 2007 07:32 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In that case, doubly so!

About 5 years ago I only had silent films and equipment, and I had a great time of it, however the day I bought my first sound machine the hobby expanded spectacularly for me.

2002: 100% silent
2007: less than 10% silent. (and I've continued to buy and make silent films in the meantime, and haven't sold any either.)

The silent film is a wonderful medium, but it has its limits. Sound is what brought cinema into its golden age.

Editor/viewers are basically useful for editing and viewing. I've never heard of someone using one for transfer.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC