8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » film twisting problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: film twisting problem
Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2007 01:32 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently bought a film from ebay it came with no problem and it does not appear to have any vinegar smell, the problem I am having is when I watch the film on my B&H with 400ft take up reel the film over run it's edge now the film is not completely full on the supply so why when it is watched dose it overrun the take up reel, also when I unwound a few feet by hand the film gets all twisted not straight like most can anyone explain this mystery? thanks [Confused]

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 19, 2007 01:36 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jim,

Surely some warpage here??!!

Does it rewind tight?

-Mike.

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2007 02:31 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jim,
If it is not the reel flanges that 'ride' the film because they are bent, maybe the film is so dry (or has been so badly stored) that the twisting simply defeats the reel's ability to pack the film tightly enough to accomodate it on your reel.

Sounds like the film might need a bath in a good film rejuvenator, like FilmRenew.

Best,
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Gary Crawford
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 19, 2007 03:30 PM      Profile for Gary Crawford     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This happens quite a lot with 16mm. And remarkably...as an interim solution, if you twist the film just before you put it on the takeup reel...so that the sprocket holes are on the inside, that sometimes allows for nearly perfect winding. I've tried it and it usually works. Then just remember to twist it back before rewinding.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 19, 2007 03:40 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they mention it Jim or is that asking a silly question where ebay is concerned.
I`m sick to the back teeth of shysters at the moment !!!! why can`t people be decent and treat others farily, so often in film its even worse than most things WHY !!!
Best Mark.

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 19, 2007 05:29 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like aging and shrinkage to me. This often results in the film not wanting to lay flat when it it taken up on the take up spool.

I think I would agree with the others here and suggest the film needs some treatment such as the suggested Filmrenew. It might also help to reverse wind it onto a spool and leave it that way for a while to see if it helps to flatten it again.

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 20, 2007 02:14 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second Kev on this. Wind the film on a metal spool, poor some Film Renew in a metal can, deep the film for a few minutes, remove the spool and lay it flat inside a dry metal can. Seal the can and let it rest for at least 4 weeks (flip the can every week).
After that rewind the film gently while removng excess Renew (I create wipes out of old cotton tshirts).

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 20, 2007 02:53 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What we are doing to help combat this round here is to not rewind the film after use. It does help, and as uncle Kevin says, give it a dose of FilmRenew which we find very good indeed and helps the jitters.

Propper Chrimbo.

Barry Johnson
Master Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2007 08:22 AM      Profile for Barry Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what is known in the trade as a 'concave' print.This is due to usage under a hot lamp and many screenings.It was a common sight in the film library days on Regular8 and a sometime event with 16mm silent.Prints as such as this can only be rewound up tightly by hand,but once projected,you are back to square one.Nothing can be done but they still project OK. Strangeley this phenomena affects colour film-particularly reversal stock-even less.Hope this has helped.

--------------------
Standard8 rules!!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 20, 2007 09:03 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
have a print of "Golf", this way, ran once, them rewound somewhat tight, let stay for ten days, then ran again, its not bad now - A bit of VitaFilm or Renew will help - Concave prints will appear in a bin of odd reels that haven't seen the light of day (or projector) in a while, - Shorty

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2007 11:27 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys you pretty much explained it to me the film does not rewind tightly but projects fine I will do just that by giving it a filmrenew bath the film does have a slight curl to it.

--------------------
jim schrader

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 20, 2007 02:32 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jim, I thought I recognized your name!

Looking forward to those Laurel and hardys!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 20, 2007 07:45 PM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
there on their way [Smile]

--------------------
jim schrader

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC