8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Australia's 8mms scene

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Australia's 8mms scene
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 20, 2007 10:11 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all especially our Australian mates!

(This topic is a continuation from the previous opost of Blues Brothers' searching posted by David Kildery from Australia}

quote:
I don't know anyone who has bought from them. Most of my Super 8 I bought back then from the Eight Millimeter Film Centre here in Melbourne, they closed around 1985.

Do you still get Reel Deals? I find it a great little magazine.

1. David, Where is Eight Millimeter Film Centre in Melbourne, any phone contact or website?

2. Do you happen to know someone in Sydney by the name of Robert Nailon. He used to live at Holmes St, Randwick. But in 2005 I visited that place he was no logner there. He was collecting 8mm & 16mm and he possesed a lot of good 8mm film with VERY-VERY good price. Which our friends here wouldn't believe.

3. Someone in Bondi Junction, NSW was also running a small shop for 8mm. He also advertised in Mike Tricket's magazine. But the prices were so-so, even sometime high.

4. I didn't get any more 8mm magazines from Australia (Beside Tricket's, I used to read Rodney Bourke's magazine)

5. Any trading market or 8mm conventions were stil held in NSW or Victoria?

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Joerg Polzfusz
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 21, 2007 06:22 AM      Profile for Joerg Polzfusz   Author's Homepage   Email Joerg Polzfusz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

as the "Eight Millimeter Film Centre ... in Melbourne ... closed around 1985" I doubt that they will have a webpage or a current address/phone-number [Wink]

BTW: Did you already know http://super8wiki.com/index.php/Category:FAQ#Australia?

Jörg

Kevin Faulkner
Film God

- posted December 21, 2007 05:56 PM      Profile for Kevin Faulkner         Edit/Delete Post 
There's some interesting links on that web page but they seem to keep taking me back to eBay [Frown]

Kev.

--------------------
GS1200 Xenon with Elmo 1.0...great combo along with a 16-CL Xenon for that super bright white light.

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 22, 2007 12:59 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes as Joerg says, the Eight Millimeter Film Centre closed over 20 years ago. It was in a store in Carlton and moved to the owners home for its last few years. I visited around 1990 and bought a Chinon projector; the last item of any descrption they had relating to 8mm. The family had a store in central Melbourne for decades before the move to Carlton.

The son I still see around, he worked for Fox Movietone as a newsreel cameraman in the 1960's.

The scene in Australia is scattered; sometime there are over 50 listings on ebay other time just a handful. Reel Deals and Dress Circle magazines keep collectors in touch with various dealers and film lists. I do not know of any stores thatsell Super 8 now. A few years ago some city camera stores stocked used prints on Super 8.

I am a member of CATHS (Cinema and Theatre Historical Society) and Reel Deals is put out by a committee member, Mike Trickett. There are many film collectors in this society and we have an annual swap meet that has several stalls selling film.

I have heard of the Sydney places you speak of, but don't know if they are still around. I know it may sound strange, but even though I know Sydney well, it is 1,000 kms away from me here in Melbourne! I know collectors in both cities, but have mostly been able to find what I have been after here in Melbourne.

There are still a lot of film collectors here given there has been 25 years since even the dying days of the Super 8 boom years. Reel Deals is the best sigle contact for film dealers.

Hope this helps Winbert.

David

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC