8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Canada 8mm scene, pls advise! Eng & French films

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canada 8mm scene, pls advise! Eng & French films
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 25, 2008 03:28 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I am soon moving out to Toronto, Canada beginning next year.

Can someone advise me what sort of 8mm scene in Canada.

Secondly, because this country is divided into two major languages (no politics here!), English and French as well as the country is lying in the American continent, what kind of films/companies/prints were used to be distributed there.

I am asking this because am so curious whether I can see a lot of Walton or Mountains releases (because ex British colony) but also Film Office or Piccolo releases (because half is French speakers), as well as Ken or Columbia or Umiversal 8 (because so close to the USA).

Can anybody knows?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2008 10:33 AM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi., Winbert, with regards to 8mm film collecting here in Canada there are no dealers here now that I know off,I do all my buying from the U.K. As far as the U.S.A. dealers you will know who they are. Alex.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 27, 2008 12:55 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alex, thanks for the info.

What about the scene during the heydey era. Did the prints mostly come from the USA (US prints) or UK prints?

And since Quebec and Montreal are francophone, did they also have prints from France, which I like that very much due to the quality (Film Office did always use AGFA, as far as I am concerned)

I think there are another two Candian active members here. Can you two also give a comment here. I am looking forward for my future work (and hobby) there.

regards,

--------------------
Winbert

Alex Fox
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2008 11:45 AM      Profile for Alex Fox   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Winbert.To answer your questions re the good days of 8mm collecting here in Canada there were only two dealers that I new of here in Ontario, both imported from the U.K. and the U.S.A. As far as the French side is concerned I can tell you nothing about that.Yes there are other Canadians on the form but one seldom hears from them. Hope this info., helps you a little. Alex

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 27, 2008 05:36 PM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Winbert,
First of all, an early welcome to Canada.
I lived in Toronto for many years and it is a great city ( I now live just east of the city)
While there are no dealers in the area you're in a great area for a couple of reasons.
1) Toronto and area are host to many Toy and memorabilia shows and conventions worth checking out. Some dealers do have films the odd time.
I was at a show on Sunday and picked up six 200' Ken cartoons for $20 and about a month before that found a couple of sound, color, still sealed Disney prints for $5 each - and they still have nice color. Sure not the most desirable stuff but who knows what else is out there as I don't get to the shows often.

2) Many Thrift stores around. Great for finding projectors and supplies. Again a couple of months ago I picked up a ELMO Hi Vision SC-18 still in it's box for $20. Mind you it was very dirty but after a thorough clean it runs like a charm.
Another $20 find was a boxed B&H 33ST, a great lttle sound projector.

These things may not be the type of stuff you are looking for, but just explore.

There is also a great place right in downtown Toronto that runs 16mm films every Friday night and is a super place to meet collectors.

Here is the website

Hope this helps you out.
Cheers
Terry

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 01, 2008 04:16 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since Canada (esp. Toronto and Otawa) has a very cool climate, do you guys think that fading process is slow there (like in the UK) so it is a great possibility that many unfaded prints will be found there?.

Regards,

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC