8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Heurtier Stereovox

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heurtier Stereovox
Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 01, 2008 01:18 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEURTIER-S-8-16mmPROJECTOR-INTEGRAL-AUTOMATIC-STEREOVOX_W0QQitemZ320321409742QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudiVideoElectronics_Video_Electronics?hash=item32032140974

I've asked this in relation to another topic but its in the 16mm section - therefore I'm asking here again as it relates to a S-8 projector.

I'm thinking about bidding on this as I've always liked the look of these machines. It would be my first 8mm projector but I've been thinking about starting a collection for a while.

What I want to know is any info at all which you fellas might have about these projectors. Pros and cons, etc...

Thanks,
Mike

|  IP: Logged

Mike Peckham
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2008 02:17 PM      Profile for Mike Peckham   Email Mike Peckham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Mike

I have no first hand knowledge of the Heurtier Sterovox projector but do have the 1977 Movie Maker Test Report for the Heurtier Duovox scanned.

Both models appear similar the main difference being at the amplifier stage I think - if it will help at all I could email you the test report...

Mike

--------------------
Auntie Em must have stopped wondering where I am by now...

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 01, 2008 02:21 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mike,

That would be very helpful.

mjoregan(at)btinternet(dot)com

Thanks a lot.

-Mike

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 01, 2008 09:40 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I don't quite understand of the wording "s-8 16mm projector". Does it mean this projector can play both gauge super 8mm and 16mm??

If so, this is my first time to see a dual machine 8 - 16mm. What other brands do the same?

thanks,

--------------------
Winbert

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2008 11:08 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AVOID!!!!!!! The projectors look neat,but they are awful machines. I never knew anyone have a good one. Save your money!!!!

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 01, 2008 11:32 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Michael
Here is a little bit of info on the Duovox/ Monoplay. I have never come across a Heurtier projector however I did here of someone once owning one and having trouble with it, dont no much more than that, they were fitted with a jewel pressure gate which consist of two highly polished rubies located directly in front of and against the film gate, the idea of this is to prevent any buckling and keeps the film in focus with absolute precision. Well thats the theory [Roll Eyes]
 -
this photo shows the Duovox which is fitted with double-circuit magnetic heads, can use the two tracks or the super8 format, sound being added to films by the simultaneous playback of two seperate recordings.... "this is from the leaflet"
 -
Monoplay uses a single magnetic track.

projectors are fitted with 100watt/12volt lamp and Isco Vario-Kiptagon lens, aperature 1:1.3 focal length 16.5 to 30mm and can take 240m reels.

A little bit of history.

1939 manufacture of the first tri-format projector :9.5mm, 8mm, and 16mm

1954 manufacture of the first 8mm sound projector in the world

1972 "a world revolution" manufacture by Heurtier of the first stereo projector for the amateur.

Graham.

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2008 12:52 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still have mine.Have NEVER been able to run a film all the way through the machine.Knew 2 others who had this machine and both had tons of problems.There was one on ebay with an $85 buy it now for months and no takers.That should tell you all you need to know.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 02, 2008 02:26 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert,

Thats a mistake on the sellers part. This is a 8mm machine only.

John,

Thanks. I think I'll take your advice unless the price stays at 99p.

-Mike

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 02, 2008 03:22 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although it's indeed a mistake on the seller's end, it's not unfounded. Heurtier built machines that were able to project 8, 9.5 and 16mm. They were called officially Tri-Films but also nicknamed "Troikas".

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 02, 2008 09:52 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no experience with Heurtier's, but this is surely one of the most beautiful looking super 8 sound projector ever made.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 02, 2008 11:26 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with both Paul & John. I have the Duovox and it is just beautiful to look at. It's also the last of my many projectors I would ever run a film through.

Michael,

Unless it's just for display, don't do it!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 02, 2008 02:02 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can any of you guys be more specific as to what kind of problems these machines give exactly?

-Mike

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2008 12:08 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could write a book! First,good luck threading,it has a horrible threading mechanism that 9 times out of 10 doesn't take the film cleanly,tearing up leader. Second,if you are indeed lucky enough to get it threaded,good luck framing,constantly going out of frame.Thirdly,the take up runs slower than the film itself,making a mess. Believe me,I was impressed by how it looked and all the bells and whistles,don't be fooled.Sometimes politically correct has to go out the window.THIS MACHINE IS A PIG!!!!!!!99p is about 98p more than it is worth.

--------------------

Patrick Walsh
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2008 12:50 AM      Profile for Patrick Walsh   Email Patrick Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They look a bit like the BTH 16mm machines of the 1950s/60s with the reels mounted out the back of the machine.
I have a Tri gauge silent machine 8mm/9.5mm and 16mm goes ok but is a bit ruff on the film as the sprockets are to smaller a diamater to thread properly and the film path is very tight.
Pat [Smile]

--------------------
"Raise The Titanic!", It would of been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 03, 2008 07:11 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks fellas. I'm giving it a miss I reckon.
-Mike

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 03, 2008 10:24 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I'm astonished to hear that this great looking machine is such a bummer. A classic case of 'lipstick on a pig'! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2008 10:51 AM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sums it up well,Paul

--------------------

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2008 10:57 AM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the monoplay version. Threading film is not to much of a problem. Back presure plate works on mixed stock. Overal a nice quiet projector and projects film very well. Back gate unhooks out of the machine for cleaning. Problem is when threaded and you loose a bottom loop there is no provistion to correct like most machines. Rewind is unusual this works by pushing down on carry handle one end and you can engage a latch to keep the rewind working. Taking the back cover off is a nightmare because of the design. It takes a major fiddle to get the lot back together.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 04, 2008 02:49 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, somebody wants it pretty badly.

Its at £87 now with 24hrs to go.

-Mike

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 04, 2008 06:00 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As an example of stunning cine design art, the Heurtier would be hard to beat. I can see someone being willing to buy it just to sit it on display in their home theater room.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 04, 2008 08:02 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I`ve heard much of the problems and seen one that looked little used but showed heavy gate wear and yes it wasn`t right either for various reasons. Theres soenthing about them isn`t quite right !!!!
Someone is on for a hard time of it more than likely.
Best Mark.
Crikey just looked and untested etc whatsoever, someone is really going to fall foul here more than likely, very foul.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted December 05, 2008 06:54 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible the Stereovox version overcame the problems of the Duovox version - which is what most of you seem to have experience of??

-Mike

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted December 05, 2008 08:21 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael, the mechanical parts of the stereovox are basically the same. With Heurtier, it's either day or night. Strong solid reliable machine or great looking piece of junk. Why don't you go for a nice little Elmo St (600, 160 or 180)?

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC