8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Newbie in need...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Newbie in need...
Angelo Pisano
Junior

- posted January 30, 2009 10:41 PM      Profile for Angelo Pisano   Email Angelo Pisano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone

Here is a real newbie in need of some help [Embarrassed]

I’ve been reading and learning plenty from this from this forum, the knowledge in here is awesome, of course I never joined until I needed some help, in other word, I didn’t join until now! [Wink]

I am a film buff and finally decided to give this collecting and screening a serious go. I bought a Sankyo stereo 800 and an Elmo St-1200HD off eBay. I received the Elmo last week and the Sankyo today, the Sankyo is in impeccable condition, and the Elmo?

[Mad] That one is bad, although the body is in great shape, the inside is filthy and full of dried out grease it looks it hasn’t been used in years and it needs a heavy-duty cleaning. [Mad]

Can anyone here recommend a grease remover I can use to clean this mess? [Confused]

Thank you

Angelo

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 31, 2009 02:57 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Angelo,
and welcome to this forum.
DO NOT USE A DEGREASING AGENT ON YOUR PROJECTOR!
The only safe way is to mechanically remove the old grease with toothpicks, swabs, cloths - whatever is appropriate. Yes it will be time consuming, but it is the only safe way - using solvents or degreasing solutions will almost certainly ruin your machine.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Angelo Pisano
Junior

- posted February 01, 2009 04:14 AM      Profile for Angelo Pisano   Email Angelo Pisano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

Thank you very much for the tip, I respect your knowledge and I will follow your recommendation. Today (Sunday) is a good day to start.

Angelo

Angelo Pisano
Junior

- posted February 07, 2009 12:05 AM      Profile for Angelo Pisano   Email Angelo Pisano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Paul,

It took me a few days following your recommendations but finally I cleaned the projector to almost an immaculate condition, I re-oiled the machine following the service manual and at the recommendation of Eltek in New York, I re-greased it using Electrolube’s SPG (Special Plastic Grease).

Finally, Ipened up a nice bottle of wine and my wife and I just finished enjoying a full feature, Rain with Joan Crawford and Walter Huston. To say we had a blast is an understatement; I am hooked on this thing, the projector performed flawlessly.

Thank you very much for your valuable help.

Angelo

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted February 07, 2009 12:05 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Angelo! It is very satisfying indeed to restore a neglected projector to first class working condition. If you continue to maintain your machine it will last you a very long time indeed. Most of us here on the forum are running projectors from the 1950's and 1970's, and some like myself are still running really vintage projectors from the 1920's! Unlike modern video equipment, most cine equipment seems to have been built to last forever.
Where did you get the Electrolube SPG - I would like to get some?
And welcome to the great hobby of film collecting. It is very addictive, but will give you and your family immeasurable pleasure in return for your time and investment. Please continue to post on the forum and let us know how you are making out.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Angelo Pisano
Junior

- posted February 07, 2009 02:09 PM      Profile for Angelo Pisano   Email Angelo Pisano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul

I will visit the forum often and will contribute when I can and of course, most likely, I'll ask questions as I learn the ropes. [Wink]

I got the SPG from Electrolube’s US distributor MidWest Tech Services in Willowbrook, IL – They don’t have the product on their website yet but you can order it by telephone at 1-800-877-0668 – Electrolube’s part number is ESPG35SL and Midwest Tech Services part number is 0 E11-SPG35SL – I bought a 25gm size but they have other sizes. I hope this helps.

Angelo

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC