8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » More Kudo's for Derann's "Snow White"!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More Kudo's for Derann's "Snow White"!
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 09, 2009 04:16 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After having downloaded the Snow White screen captures, (and now having a nifty desktop wallpaper for my PC!), I decided to dig out my Agfa Derann print of "Snow White".

I actually went up to a few of the exact frames shown from the BR
and compared the Super 8 print.

Now my print is number #171 of I don't know how many prints made of this title, so it's a good distance down from the first printing, (its the one with the two extra trailers at the beginning, bought it for 140.00 dollars, YAHOO!)

Even though this print of 171 down from the first, I was stunned at just how accurate the Super 8 copy is concerning color and definition to the restored BR.

True, the BR definitely boasts a grainless (boo!) extremely sharp picture, but It really impresses you (the Super 8 print)
with how sharp it IS ... truly rivaling 16MM prints I have seen in the past! I can only imagine how the very first prints looked of this title, if the 171st print looks this good.

I can truly say that NO ONE has truly equaled the quality that Derann achieved, and still achieves to this day. Yes, CHC is quite good as well, and the optical features are in a world of they're own in stunning quality, but Derann I would truly say, are the top dogs.

Magnificent Derann! If you ever have a chance to read this post, pat yourselves on the back for me!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Thomas Murin, Jr.
Master Film Handler

- posted October 09, 2009 04:58 PM      Profile for Thomas Murin, Jr.   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Murin, Jr.   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could afford a complete print of anything! Still, your SW print sounds very cool!

However, reports indicate that there is a fine grain structure intact on the SW blu-ray. My BR will be shipping soon and I'll know for sure then.

The whole grain issue is a very touchy subject for the studios. If they leave it intact, people complain, if they remove it, people complain.

Me? I think that grain adds to a presentation and the studios should just leave it alone.

--------------------
My crummy Deviant Art account. Read my poetic tribute to the internet comic strip Ozy & Millie and view my crappy attempts at art.

http://cougartiger.deviantart.com/

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC