8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The Sorcerer's Apprentice - any low fade prints?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Sorcerer's Apprentice - any low fade prints?
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 20, 2009 09:42 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that it's possible to find prints of some of the old Disney releases with good colour, but I wondered if anyone knows whether there are low fade prints of The Sorcerer's Apprentice?

And does anyone know when the last Disney prints were made, and whether any could have been LPP?

I'm asking specifically about Disney releases, and not including Derann re-releases of titles such as 'The Old Mill', or all the later Derann releases of Disney films.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 20, 2009 10:34 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good question! The answer is ... YES!

This probably doesn't hold true for every Disney 200ft or 400ft release, but I have noted that, while the american release of a Disney digest will be terribly faded, (Mickey's Memorable Moments Vol. 2), the UK release will be on a very fade resistant film stock.

I gave up trying to find good unfaded Disney prints in America. When I heard that the UK or European prints didn't show fade, I hunted down all the titles I wanted and sure enough, now every "classic era" Disney film that I have is on either L.P.P., agfa or Fuji film stock. It can take some hunting, but your in the right environment to find them.

... and yes, I'm speaking of the non Derann Disney releases.

By the way, it is possible to find unfaded "Sorceror's Apprentices" prints, as I have one.

Happy hunting.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 20, 2009 11:45 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And does anyone know when the last Disney prints were made, and whether any could have been LPP?

I'm asking specifically about Disney releases, and not including Derann re-releases...

Adrian, you question above was exactly my question after observing Gian's Disney screen shots which you can see here

I asked Gian if he screened the Walt Disney releases and not Derann re-release as the pictures show excellent colors.

And Gian confirms that there are LPP print from WD production.

regards,

--------------------
Winbert

Jean-Marc Toussaint
Film God

- posted October 21, 2009 08:09 AM      Profile for Jean-Marc Toussaint   Author's Homepage   Email Jean-Marc Toussaint   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian: look for the Film Office release of Sorcerer's Apprentice (in deluxe box), I don't know if it's LPP but it's definitely top notch.

--------------------
The Grindcave Cinema Website

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 21, 2009 08:23 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one of the Disney releases which I bought used with the "Slight Colour Fade" warning. It's kind of a deep burgundy where it should be black, but the colors are still very nice. It's very much one of those films I would show to a large audience, and not one I'd hide because it's cruddy looking (-have enough of those...).

I've had it about 6 years now and it hasn't changed noticeably either.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2009 03:40 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think a lot of blacks used to come out burgundy anyway Steve. Something to do with 'flashing' the film stock prior to printing. Today a lot of these prints are confused as 'fading' when in actual fact that was how they were done.

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted October 22, 2009 06:10 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the above responses. Good to hear that it's worth looking out for one with no fade, as mine isn't too bad, but is definitely 'warmer' than when I got it. Although I bought it new from Portland Films in London, I think it's a US print and I may have heard that no British prints exist of this title, so if anyone has one with a Buck Labs leader, it would be interesting to know. Otherwise, if there are US LPP prints, it shows that Disney were printing well into 1982, which is later than I thought.

Jean-Marc: I didn't know of the Film Office prints. Are these identical in terms of the opening title, and is the deluxe box the same as the one used elsewhere?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC