8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » How quickly can fade set in on a print/negative

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How quickly can fade set in on a print/negative
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 04, 2009 10:48 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that we have touched on this subject more times that can probably be counted, but perhaps not from this angle.

How soon can fade set in on a print or negative? I know that the truly horrendous Eastman can fade rather quickly, but can fade set in even within a year?

The reason why I ask is linked to the "Empire Strikes Back" review. The last two minutes of part 1 of this digest shows color fade, even on my nearest to mint color you could ask for, print. This digest came out within a year of it's original theatrical release, so you would think that there would be no fade in that much time, but there most certianly is fade to that last two minutes of the digest.

Could this be brought down to literally poor film processing?
How quickly have any of you noted fade to a print?

John Whittle, your expertise would be much appreciated!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 05, 2009 02:59 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,
Are you saying the print was faded when it was viewed within a year of its release, or it has faded since it's release in 1981?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 05, 2009 08:17 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ThanX Micheal ...

To further clarify, the particular print I was speaking of is the original "Empire Strikes Back" part 1. The digest has mint or as mint as you'll find. It's just the last two minutes, the asteroid chase thathas muted or faded colors.

Now, for the rest of the digest to has beautiful colors and those last two minutes be faded, there must have been a problem with the preprint material.

My question was asking; is it possible for film, whether preprint material or the finished project to fade in less than a years time?

Either this or the folks who sent the Ken Films editors the preprint didn't bother to color check that short two minute section, or Ken Film's editors didn't bother to closely check that two minute sequence themselves, as it is clearly either muted color or already faded.

So, back to the question. Is it possible for film to fade in just a years time? Perhaps even less time?

--------------------

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2009 04:16 PM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure it's not the color timing of a heavily processed shot? Before digital FX, a lot of these sequences were all done in the lab adding generations on to the material & causing color and texture discrepancies from the appearance of the rest of the film. They also might have not followed the color-timing prescription for the theatrical prints.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 05, 2009 06:59 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a good point Timothy, I hadn't thought of that. It's possible. However, other shots in the Mellenium Falcon, (looking outside at space), are not browned out. It is curious.

--------------------

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2009 09:42 PM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the film stock and date code. My suspicion is that if it is not LPP, that your print (which is far older than a year or two) is fading, but you haven't noticed it as much on the other scenes.

If it is low-fade, then it's a printing problem -- there's no way that the printing negative faded after a few years.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 05, 2009 10:42 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must not be too clear. The "Empire" digest part 1 is the vintage 1980/81 digest, by Ken Films. The film stock is Kodak SP, but that is not the problem.

The color is truly mint. Other space shots show very true blacks. It's just in that last two minutes of the digest that the colors go off, to what you would normally think is Kodak SP browning, but it's the only part of the digest that doesn't look good. I should note that in all part 1 copies of this digest, I have noted that drastic change to brownish/muted color, which does not appear anywhere else in the digest, just in that last two minutes of Part 1.

I'm fairly sure that this was released in just Kodak SP or the standard eastman, (non L.P.P.) film stock, unless prints of this were placed on low fade stock over in the UK, which is possible.

If anyone on here has a print bought in the UK, with perfect color, could you please inform us as to whether there is a different stock than that of Kodak SP or Eastman.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 06, 2009 08:26 AM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, it's unlikely to be fading in just those last couple minutes. If it's faded, it's just not (as Steve Sigel says) as noticeable elsewhere yet.

Secondly, where you have not been clear is in asking would the print have faded after just one year. What makes you think it was faded within a year of printing? Did you own the print within a year of printing and notice this colour change within that year? Or have you noticed the fade just recently, ie.29yrs after the print was struck?

Osi said:
"This digest came out within a year of it's original theatrical release, so you would think that there would be no fade in that much time,...."

This has no meaning. When the digest was released relative to the original theatrical release is of no relevance at all where colour fade is concerned.
[Confused]

Timothy Ramzyk
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2009 10:03 AM      Profile for Timothy Ramzyk   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you were asking if it was possible that the pre-prent material your digest was struck from could have had a faded section given that your print was was produced so close to the the original release of the film. That's why it was my guess that the color-loss was in the original itself, and possibly matter of color-timing rather than fade.

Steven Sigel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2009 10:11 AM      Profile for Steven Sigel   Email Steven Sigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the print is SP, then the fade issue is almost certainly the print itself. Take a look at a fade to black in a scene that you think is not faded -- is the black 100% solid black?, or does it have a brownish look?

Can you post some pictures?

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 06, 2009 10:27 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steven ...

I really wish I could, (and all it would take is a bloody cord to me computer! Funds are tight, however).

Interestingly, as that two minute sequence that's faded, ends,
the "The End" title comes up, fading in from black, and that title card is a beautiful blue/black, so it's definitely that little two minute sequence ...

which is too bad. I'd rather the Yoda sequence had faded color.

According to Andreas Eggling (in Germany), the edit for the UK and the rest of the world in general (of this title) is the same exact edit as the American version. I would be curious to find out if the prints from around the world were all print6ed on either Kodak SP or Eastman.

For certain, the Kodak SP prints of this have aged far better than the Eastman prints, (pinky/purple snow just doesn't cut it!)
but I would love to hear that there were either L.P.P. or Fuji prints of this title. I know that the classic era Disney Digests and short subjects were printed on very good fuji stock, and have aged beautifully, while the same digests, printed in america, have faded to a pinky oblivion.

I agree with you, Steven, in that I don't see how a negative from a just released film, (less than a year) can have color fade on the negative and, as Timothy stated, it is probably more due to sloppy color checking on the print that they sent to Ken films for editing.

It makes us all that much more thankful that we have had Derann, CHC and other smaller companies over the years, (Perry's, for instance, Barry and company), that have made the best effort to find the best possible negatives before making prints.

I have read, for instance, about how Derann has rejected some negatives at times, in order to find the best negative, knowing full well the collector is not going to buy a crappy print, (in general).

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2009 11:16 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, Just a thought. Is it possible that in the past those last 2 minutes could have been treated with some cleaner/lube like 2.22. I have heard bad things about this product on this very forum that 2.22 speeds up fading. Or could it be something similar has been applied to it. But then again 'The End' is perfect. Puzzleing [Confused]

Post some pictures if you can.

Graham S

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 06, 2009 01:13 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MIcheal ...

I forgot to respond to that earlier comment concerning not having any meaning.

What I was saying is that, for a film to have been released to movie theaters in 1980, as in the case of "Empire Strikes Back" and the negative used for this super 8 release, having it's processing done in a film lab within that years time, you would not expect any fade whatsoever to be existent in the negative.
There simply hasn't been enough time for that to come about. The original question I asked in the beginning is, "Is it possible for the negative or any film print in general, to fade that quickly, within a years time?"

The Kodak SP stock has nothing to do with the original preprint material. Thats merely the film stock used for the Super 8 print. The Kodak SP film stock will only manifest as much color as the preprint negative manifests in itself. It would make no sense that this specific scene in the digest would have a brownish fade to it, while the rest of the digest would be spot on and, as stated earlier in this series of posts, I have noted that others copies of this part 1 of this digest have this similar fade in this same exact spot.

It must have simply been poor pre-print material of that specific scene that wasn't caught at the time by either Fox's people or the Ken Films editors.

Did that clear it up for you Micheal. For anybody else, is there any confusion on the subject?

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 06, 2009 01:21 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I had the impression you were talking about just ordinary print fade.

OK, thanks.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2009 01:32 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, I'm thinking it is poor grading. Lets face it, lab grading was all over the place back then, especially for super 8.

If you have "Star Wars" Pt. 1 Ken, this is gonna drive you nuts...I've seen several prints and because they are all graded too light, you will clearly see traveling matts around many of the effects shots. Just watch the tie-fighters attack the Millenium Falcon and become aware of that grey fluctating square around each tie-fighter...it'll ruin it for you!!!

Once you see it, you'll see it all over every 8mm version of Star Wars, Empire, etc...or maybe just ignore me and enjoy them [Smile] !

Certainly, the theatricals weren't graded like that!

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 06, 2009 02:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You do see that special effect "glitch" just a little, (almost impossible to get completely out of the picture in yesteryears films), but it is much less noticeable in "Empire" and "Return"

I believe that your right Rob.

Still, with all this discussion, this 2X400ft digest, (along with the Marketing 600ft digest), is one of my most repeated digest in my collection. I'm surprised at how good of shape it's actually still in, considering all the viewings it has had, (it has been treated every other time with "film-Renew").

Being we are on this Empire Strikes back series of posts, could anybody verify what scenes are in the "Empire Strikes Back" original movie trailer, (the flat version), that could potentially be added to the digest?

Then again, cutting up a perfectly good trailer is kind of nuts.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted November 06, 2009 03:00 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't this whole movie available on DVD? Wouldn't that be better than a "digest"?
[Razz] [Razz] [Wink]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2009 03:45 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but Michael, that's NOT the emperor in the DVD!

The real Emperor is half monkey, half man, everyone knows that! [Wink]

And really, since when did Bobba Fett speak with a New Zealand accent. Not that there's anything wrong with a New Zealand accent, but who IS that imposter inside Boba Fett's costume for the DVD with his half-hearted, "...as you wish" nonsense. The REAL Bobba was hard and mean sounding!

Plus I still think, "...any agressive move will not be tolerated" is such a cooler line... [Big Grin]

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 06, 2009 04:26 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Super 8 watchers Rule!

Video watchers DROOL!

It could be one better, I could have the "Empire" scope feature, but that's just wishful thinking!

--------------------

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2009 11:24 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have both 2-parters of the S/W saga. Both digests of the first movie are faded. Many of the outdoor scenes are a nice tumbleweed brown. The climaxes on both are still faded, but not so terribly as the parts leading up to the last 5 minutes or so of each reel. My "Empire" digests don't seem to be as badly faded, but it's apparent that over the next few years, they too, will be relegated to solitary screenings and not up to par to show to an audience. It would be too embarassing.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC