8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My Santa’s Clause name is Graham.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Santa’s Clause name is Graham.
Antonis Galanakis
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2009 02:00 AM      Profile for Antonis Galanakis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my story.
I own a B&H DCT. Sadly it smashed during shipping from an EBay seller. I was looking for spare parts in order to make it work again. I started looking around at a lot of companies (like CHC), and a lot of persons that repairs projector and lenses but no one could find me spares. So I search the forum members to find someone to help.
I was looking for:
1. The little white plastic Focus knob. Not the black knob we touch and turn to focus but the inside white knob that goes directly onto the lens to make the focus. Mine was broken...
2. The right side cover. Mine was broken badly too...

I found Graham Sinden. He replied immediately and offered me the parts I wanted from HIS OWN B&H projector!!! He send me photos, he asked me for directions, how to take the spare parts out, and he was informing me with e-mails, all the time, in every step he did!!!
HE DID NOT WANT MONEY! THE ONLY THINK HE WANTED WAS TO HELP ME!

Yesterday I received the parts. I worked all night and fixed my projector. I want to thank him in public for all the help he have given me.I greatly appreciate his generosity. He did his best to help me immediately and as much as he could, without trying to make money from it. That means that he is really a GREAT MEMBER OF OUR 8mm Forum.

My Santa’s Clause name is Graham.
Antonis Galanakis

|  IP: Logged

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2009 07:16 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Antonis for those kind words. I would always do anything I could to help a fellow forum member as I know you want to use the projector and not just sell it on again. Yes the parts did come from my own B&H projector but this was given to me and most of the time has been left in its box. I did try it once but I think the projector was a bit slow and needed some lube or mabye the voltage selector needed correcting. Anyway its only mono only with a 100W bulb and a 1.4 lens, not a great image. If it had a 1.0 lens I might not have been so eager. When youve got 2xGS1200's, an st1200HD, a GS800, a eumig 926 plus a few more I can live without this B&H DCR. I seem to get given many projectors because of the people and clubs I know. I still have the remainder of the projector and it works so I will keep it for now but may use it properly or use the rest for parts. Projectors are very easy to get hold of in the UK as there are lots of dealers and conventions etc., im sure I will get many more over time if I can find the space to store them!

I hope the side cover arrived intact without anything breaking off as I know how these boxes can get tossed around in transit. Postage was cheap as well.

Graham S

Michael Beyer
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2009 07:41 AM      Profile for Michael Beyer   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Beyer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Antonis,

that's a really great story. It is fine to see, that we are a community, where the members helps each other. I hope it will exist for a long time.

Regards,
Michael

--------------------
Just remember the time when Home Cinema was not a disc...keep perforated

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted November 26, 2009 09:33 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Allow me also to introduce my Santa this year, his name is .....

Gian of Verona (Italy).... . [Big Grin]

I was in conversation with him (PM) about the 8mm scene in Canada that was out of my expectation where films were not something easy to find. While on the other hands, I had left all my collection back home in Indonesia. So, I was in Canada without films while I had a family tradition (my own set up) to screen films for my 2 kids after they finishing their dinner (ps: they will shout: "Dad I have finished my dinner let's go to Cinema ...that what they call for home screening).

Because I did not have films at that time, I just showed them again and again the same films that I got after searching all flea markets here.

There is always a chance to buy films from USA through Ebay, but sometime price and postage are prohibitive (ps: I am working with the government so everything must be carefully spent).

Knowing this situation, Gian offered me to have some of his unwanted films that he has replaced with the better ones. He warned me that there were possibly scratches on films and most were in Italian. I thanked him and didn't really bother with it, especially most cartoons did not really use dialog (or I can see from the other positive side that I can improve my Italian after watching them [Wink] )

So to make it short, the films arrived and when I asked him how much I had to paypal him, he told me not to mind with that.

What a wonderful friend (or Santa). So I will take this opportunity to thank him in keeping my hobby alive.

Ringrazio il mio amico

Dio vi benedica per tutto il tempo

(..Grazie Google per questa traduzione... [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Winbert

Gian Luca Mario Loncrini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 26, 2009 09:37 AM      Profile for Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Author's Homepage   Email Gian Luca Mario Loncrini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert, it was a real pleasure.
You did not need to mention this here, eh eh eh. I'm blushing, now.
Thanks a lot for your kind words.
I know those films are not the best ones. But hope they could help to keep alive your tradition to screen after dinner for your two kids..
Grazie a te, amico.

Ciao.

GIAN

--------------------
I remember when I was (super) 8 years old...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC