8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » TADLEY

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TADLEY
Den Brown
Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2010 10:10 AM      Profile for Den Brown   Email Den Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is Big Screen Time on at Tadley next month?

Will they be screening in this old theatre?

-

|  IP: Logged

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 28, 2010 07:31 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes it's on 24 April and that theatre will be in use. It's a must for everyone that can make it, especially as there won't be a comparable event in the UK before Blackpool in November. I believe that some of the more recent CHC releases will be screened.

I was thinking of putting a few films on the bring and buy. Does anyone know if it's the same sort of system as at the BFCC with a 10% commission on the price of items sold?

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2010 07:51 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to go,Wen't for the first time last year and enjoyed the day,Mark.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Den Brown
Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2010 09:32 AM      Profile for Den Brown   Email Den Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I heard it that was on but that they would not be using the theatre.

Good to know the theatre will definitely be used for screenings.

Thanks.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 28, 2010 01:11 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Den - I certainly thought the theatre would be in use - but maybe you have heard something I haven't? Tadley is primarily a film screening event, so if the theatre is not used, there would have to be another suitable room on the site for screenings. I'm not aware of one, so it's a mystery if your information is reliable. Geoff Wheeler has been known to move the event to another venue before when needed, but I'm sure he has not done this in relation to this year.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted March 28, 2010 01:31 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,
You say it's primarily a screening event?
What do they show usually?

Den Brown
Master Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2010 02:17 PM      Profile for Den Brown   Email Den Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Big Screen Time
Saturday 24th April 2010
10:00 to 17:00
Admission £4
The William Penney Theatre
AWE
Tadley
Hampshire

"Big Screen Time is organized by Geoff Wheeler - please try to support him in his efforts to put on this day for collectors. About a dozen Dealers and Super 8 shows projected in a real theatre!"

It says 'real theatre' so it must be there.

Wouldn't he get a fair bit more support if people could find out about it? I cannot uncover anything via Google apart from the one mention copied above on the BFCC page (with a link to five year old photos).

It's a long way to go without any info. How do folk know what actually happens between 1000 and 1700? Is there a newsletter?

Also, any chance of a nearby street name and full postcode? Thanks.

John Clancy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2010 04:42 AM      Profile for John Clancy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geoff's not a young man Den so the internet is probably something he's never used. He's done very well keeping this event going for as long as he has. I just wish I was nearer so I could support it.

If you do go take some photos so we can put some newer photos on bfcc.biz for him. We try to support everyone running events to promote the hobby on our web site (which I believe is the only one of its kind).

--------------------
British Film Collectors Convention home page www.bfcc.biz. The site is for the whole of the film collecting hobby and not just the BFCC.

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2010 05:26 AM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Den,
There was a flyer available at BFCC. Important content is:

The A340 (from the Basingstoke East/Reading exit of the M3 to the A4 between Reading and Newbury) literally passes the door. If travelling down M4 from London, take Theale exit (12) and head towards Newbury; A 340 on the left).
Look out for the William Penney Theatre, AWE, Tadley.(Between Aldermaston and Basingstoke)
Map reference (App) 51 21N 1 09W

8mm and 16mm Documentaries- Newsreel trailers. Plus Nostalgic DVD Presentations.,
Dealers Tables, Bring and Buy Stalls, Hot and Cold Food, LICENSED BAR (hoorah!!!), Free Parking (double hoorah!!)
Admission £4.50. (NOT £4)
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Den Brown
Master Film Handler

- posted March 29, 2010 03:26 PM      Profile for Den Brown   Email Den Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers for the info.

I did not mean he should have a website, just that no mention of the event comes up via a Google search other than the BFCC nod which is strange. Even a mention in a local paper should come up via an online search. Still, it's not quite a Googlewhack.

At least there's been a 100% increase - there are now two Google results as this thread now also comes up so folk can access the above details too.

-

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted March 29, 2010 03:48 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Postcode: RG7 4PR
Basic map: http://www.boundaryplayers.co.uk/how_to_find_us.phtml

I agree that it could do with more publicity - it doesn't attact as many people as it deserves, although the venue is of course rather out of the way. Seeing films in a building linked to an atomic weapons research establishment is surreal! If anyone that wants to go does not drive, you can get a bus fairly close to the venue from Basingstoke station.

There's usually a Super 8 show with some new releases, and a digital show. The other shows are normally 16mm. Geoff Wheeler has a remarkable collection and so many of the films are his own rare and historic items; Hollywood-type documentaries, etc.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2011 08:15 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just back from another successful day out @ Tadley,will post some pictures + a full report asap

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2011 12:03 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a few pictures

http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m613/sabata22/

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted April 17, 2011 12:19 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one, Mark.

Thanks for posting those.

Did you pick up anything nice there?

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2011 12:36 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cheers Mike,yes I picked up a few 8mm goodies such as a mint Project the right image with Graham Stark for a fiver!,2 x 400ft MGM release of Fame & a look at life documentary called The Cinema steps out.

There was lots of 8mm/16mm on offer @ really cheap prices,so its well worth a trip to Basingstoke next year.

I will do a full write up on the event asap

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted April 17, 2011 02:33 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a pleasant day, picked up some promising 16mm bargains and a CIR M3 splicer for a great price, and even won a bottle of wine in the raffle!

Please note the date next year (31st March) as Geoff said at the end that events beyond 2012 would depend on the attendance, so it's another 'use it or lose it' situation. I know the loction must be a bit out of the way from the point of view of many people, but your reward is a unique, friendly event, with a character all of its own. And it's even possible to get there by public transport - I've done it!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2011 03:09 PM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was great to see you again Adrian [Smile]

Many thanks to Geoff Wheeler,Dave Locke & co for another great day out!!

I especially enjoyed the film shows this year with a very varied programme highlights included Alfred Hitchcock's classic Psycho promo reel on 8mm,The Funnymen an episode of Hollywood & the Stars on 16mm and a great 1975 MGM promo short called The Lion Roars Again on 16mm.

Sadly I had to rush off before the HD Blu Ray show but I,m sure it was up to the high standard of last years show.

It was great to meet a few old and new friends inc Lee Mannering,Dave Locke,Barry Littlechild,Adrian Winchester,Bob Nicholls etc.

The traditional bring & buy stall actually had more 8mm bargains for sale than recent years inc some nice Ken releases of Alien,Omen 1 & 2 in there original boxes.

As Adrian says its really a use it or lose it situation for 2012 so it would be really great if a few more collectors/forum members make an extra effort to attend next years event.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted April 18, 2011 04:16 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good to read the feedback for Tadley or as we call it here Tadders. The last time I recall attendending was way back to collect a Ten Best film award I seem to recall and it is with a just a little bit of shame I admit to not going again until now. My own absence in all honesty has been largely due to being self employed and often filming over far too many weekends but such are the joys of media but enough of my griping and on to the big day itself. My wife and I set off early the day prior to Big Screen Time as we had booked a stall to continue to dispose of films for bereaved collectors in the main so needed to make the following day early to set up. Travelling a fair distance by car and fully loaded it proved to be a good idea as we were assured plenty of time to set up our table of goodies. Things were a little slow at the start but we soon got rolling and everyone seemed in high spirits all day with plenty of enthusiasm showing itself. I was surprised at the very limited number of good quality projectors around though unlike the events which had already taken place elsewhere having large numbers available. It was fascinating to see many different items on sale as well and it was a great surprise to see some 16mm Betty Boop cartoons on offer one of which I purchased for the archive. A little later the Cinema was in full swing and we must congratulate projectionist Dave Locke for a very slick show on 8mm, 16mm and HD. Also thanks must go to Geoff Wheeler and his team for a job well done with everything running extremely smoothly throughout the day.

I was moved to see that on the rear of the programme Geoff had included a list of six film collectors who had recently passed away and it rekindled memories of fellow movie buffs who had also passed away in my own part of the country recently some of which I had known for approaching 40 years.

We both left Tadley having enjoyed the day so very much, meeting old and new people which after all is a great part of this hobby of ours. Big Screen Time happens all over again on 31st March 2012 so perhaps if you were unable to make it this time we may see you there in March.
[Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC