8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » cinema under the stars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cinema under the stars
Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2010 02:11 PM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Today im very happy.... recently one shopping center from my city ask me to show some movies on summer like the open air cinema,of course i put one condition "well if you like cinema MUST BE CINEMA,i dont want to hear nothing from digital things" the boss of the shopping center told me that "He think cinema was the same as dvd video" so i explain to him what 16mm and super 8 was....."super 8?? that old thing that my parents use to film on the beach?" say the boss,"Yes but nothing of old thing,true and loving cinema,i will show you" i said...so yesterday i take my print of goldfinger and my elmo gs 1200 and show the film under the stars to 160 people,what a pleasure i feel when the people start ask me to see the projector...much of them dont believe it was super 8 and when they see it the next question was "still super 8 alive?" i said to all the audience MOOORE THAN EVER ladys and gentlemans,almost all the people said that the image quality was great and more natural than on dvd,thats the trick i say,cinema is way more natural to our eyes than digital because the organic magic of film and speed cadency,so when the film end all the audience start to applause while i make an advertisement of the next film will be showed..7 brides for 7 brothers this time scope 16mm [Wink] and the better of all the boss of the shopping center ask me to explain to the public the diferent of dvd projection and cinema projection before the shows aaahhh at last my oportunity to defend our lovinf cine format [Roll Eyes] hahaha [Razz]

--------------------
As Steven Spielberg says....
Nothing beats old school projection. Digital is just an imitation.

|  IP: Logged

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted June 28, 2010 02:17 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jose,

That's excellent.

Keep it going.

[Smile]

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 28, 2010 07:37 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BRAVO Jose!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

David Kilderry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2010 12:36 AM      Profile for David Kilderry   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My cinema under the stars experience was taking the family to the drive-in last night to see Toy Story 3. It was under the stars in cars due to the cool wind!

Keith Ashfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2010 05:16 AM      Profile for Keith Ashfield     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Muy bien Jose.

You have probably "realised" the dream of every film collector - an outdoor performance, to an appreciative audience.

The fact that you also "gained" their interest, in what they thought, was a "long gone format", makes it all the better.

Now, where did I put that address for the "Hollywood Bowl"?

--------------------
"We'll find 'em in the end, I promise you. We'll find 'em. Just as sure as a turnin' of the earth".

Mark Williams
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2010 05:44 AM      Profile for Mark Williams   Email Mark Williams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lovely story Jose.

Yes I have to admit there is something special when projecting reel film.

Regards Mark

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2010 06:53 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks friends!! for all your comments,i still more than happy because yesterday the show of 7 seven brides for seven brothers ended with the audience (200 this time)singing almost all the songs from the movie..God!.. was wonderfull,was like to go back to the 50´s when real cinema was king..was so good that one old lady sing the song "bride of june" with tears on her eyes while see to her old husband and that lady still has good voice...lord i almost cry seeing that.Next movie this saturday "cabaret" preceded by a hilarius looney tunes shorts, this time i want to give to the public who asist a little present,a small facsimil of the original poster like in the old days,i have printed 100 for the moment in a kind of paper that imitates the old paper of the handprograms of the old days,i hope people like it [Razz] Long Life cinema,long life super 8!!

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted June 29, 2010 09:11 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jose,

What a wonderful experience! As Keith said, we would all love for that to happen to us.
Do you have any pictures of the events?

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2010 11:21 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Douglas!,no,no for the moment but i plan to do some shots because the cinema under the star will be finished on 23 september
so i will take some pictures soon and post here of course,all i can say now is that for me is a surprise the answer of the audience to the shows,i never expect the public ask for super 8 and now im start thinking to ask to the management of the shopping center to do some courses about filmaking on super 8 because theres a lot of youngs and some older people that are interested to shoot on film once they see some documentarys filmed on super 8 so maybe its time to promote film shooting again because i think much people think that film is dead and for that reason they shot on digital video,once they see the gorgeous and unbeating quality on a big screen all of them want to shoot on film and start to ask where to buy etc,for the moment the web address of derann,classic home cinema and paul foster films are put in a diapo in all my shows .who knows, maybe someday my dream to have my own cinemaclub here in the islands will be come true...the only thing i complaint is the copyrigth the shopping center must pay to obtain the public exhibition license(about 800 euros for 3 months)remeber folks that all our films are licensed for home exhibition only,if you want to do a public show you must contact with the motion picture film licencing company of your country and pay for the license [Wink]

--------------------

Yanis Tzortzis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 29, 2010 07:57 PM      Profile for Yanis Tzortzis   Author's Homepage   Email Yanis Tzortzis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Genial, Jose!

....reminds me of the Greek open air cinemas-missing it so badly in the UK... [Frown]

--------------------
Yannis

Dan Lail
Film God

- posted June 29, 2010 08:10 PM      Profile for Dan Lail   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jose,

160 is a very large audience. Excellent! The magic of film is once again unleashed on the public. Keep up the good work. [Smile]

Jose Artiles
Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2010 09:17 AM      Profile for Jose Artiles   Email Jose Artiles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks Dan,i´ll do it the best i can to defend film in this digital era..Long life super 8 and please Lord..A LAB FOR DERANN!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted June 30, 2010 12:47 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jose,

Congratulations,

Did you manage to use the super high wattage bulb (1000watt? ...whatever) you told us in different thread?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

Greg Marshall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted June 30, 2010 07:54 PM      Profile for Greg Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm doing dive-in movies next to the pool all summer long!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC