8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Elmo ST-1200 HD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo ST-1200 HD
Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 16, 2010 09:49 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could someone please tell me what size the jacks are on the left right audio outputs on the Elmo ST-1200 HD. I need to know what to ask for in the way of plugs at Radio Shack so that I can hook my projector up to a stereo receiver.

Regards.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 16, 2010 10:04 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your timing is good,

I'm doing this exact project right now.

Radio Shack has this adapter for using conventional stereo headphones on airliners which takes two 1/8" monaural plugs and unites them into one 1/8" stereo jack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103860

I used this to get the signals out of the ST-1200HD and into a three wire stereo cable I'm running over to an interface near my amp.

When I want to run a monaural machine, I just swap on a single channel mono-stereo adapter (also Radio Shack) and plug into that machine.

The interface is a circuit I'm building up to take the nastiest of the nasty stuff out of my projector audio and feed the good stuff left behind into my stereo.

I tried it for the first time last weekend: better, still needs some work.

Two of these:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102693

-would allow you to run RCA cables directly over to a stereo, but you might have hum problems due to ground loops. The best thing to do in this case is keep the cables short and plug everything into the same outlet.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 17, 2010 09:23 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much. I'm off to Radio Shack today.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 17, 2010 09:32 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent!

It pays to go off armed with stock numbers and descriptions, and check stock at the store on their website first.

The typical Radio Shack store clerk is not technical, and is a lot more comfortable selling cell phones and laptops than those obscure electronic parts that very few people have the slightest clue about.

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 18, 2010 09:47 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really wasn't expecting my local Radio Shack to have the airline plugs in stock. I went in with the item number from the internet catalog thinking that they would have to order it by mail. Thhe clerk knew right away what I was looking for and was indeed in stock.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 18, 2010 06:54 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Radio Shack to buy some op-amps for my sound circuit. The guy asked me what I was looking for and I told him.

-I swear the color ran out of his face!

He muttered "They're like over there."

I just tried my circuit out again. Did some research on what went wrong the other day (my bad...). It's much, much better!

I projected "Gone Nutty": rattled my wife's china closet!

[ November 18, 2010, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 20, 2010 10:30 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went with two 1/8" turnaround adapters to the 3.5mm plugs. All hooked up.

Watched the "June is Busting Out all Over" segment in Stereo; sounds great.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 20, 2010 10:48 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was messing around with mine last night; I saw "Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom" for the first time in real stereo. Then I went to "Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony" from "Fantasia" and something was wrong: it was only coming out one channel.

I had to turn the audio off, re-plug into the Aux. on the side of the projector and then turn it back on.

"Pastoral Symphony" is monaural, and the ST-1200 hooked up as twin track to stereo will play that other track even if there is nothing on it!

This is a little complicated operationally. If I used this setup in a show I’d have to dedicate this machine to stereo soundtracks only.

I still need to work out some setup for operating with two machines and switching audio from one to the other without plugging and unplugging.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 20, 2010 02:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve
I made this little box long ago so I could feed two GS1200 projectors into it with joined up mixed reels of both stereo or mono "main track only" films. I can select mono or stereo but it still gives me a two channel output, for stereo, left and right go in and go straight through and for mono the signal is split "left and right" output, its still mono, for feeding the L/R input on the graphic equalizer then onto the amp. Ignore the circuit thats old stuff still in the box when I tried simulated stereo years ago "its not used any more" as with the words top and bottom as thats from our old projection box when I had two GS1200 mounted one above the other, anyway excuse the mess [Roll Eyes] but it does work.
 -
front view
 -
top view
 -
rear view.

PS. Folks hope you dont land up like this, thats my project later this week is to sort out my mess of years of add on this and that and although everything works I have lost track with "whats what" its time to get things organized...well hopefully.  -
.....The Audio Engine Room..... [Smile]

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 21, 2010 05:56 PM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A correction to my earlier statement 1/8" is the same as 3.5mm. The adaption is to the slightly larger RCA jacks and plugs that are more of the standard today.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 23, 2010 07:52 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

Can you provide schematics? [Wink]

What I'm up to right now is I've developed a circuit that works, but now I need to package it so it's more usable.

-

Into one side goes the three wire stereo plug from the projector, out the other comes two RCA connectors to go up to a spare input on my amp.

The good things:
-It breaks the ground loop that occurs between my projectors and amp.
-It filters out the 60 Hz. component of the hum. (which is most of the hum power)

Between these two things there is very little residual hum: you have to listen carefully to hear it, and I'm not done reducing it yet.

The bad things:
-For now I have to plug two 9V batteries into it every time I use it.
-I have 20 feet of cable between it and my projectors (screen and speakers in the front window, stereo at the back of the house, projectors in between.) so I have to put it away or leave a tripping hazard (-Not good PR...)

The next step is to civilize this thing. I want to mount it in a box and provide it a permanent power supply. Then I'll sneak some cable along the wall to where the projectors sit so it can always be at the ready.

The last step is to build some sort of a small switch box to allow two machines to be plugged into it and be able to flip back and forth at reel changes.

[ November 23, 2010, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 24, 2010 07:35 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve
This is a very rough drawing [Eek!] I looked at the unit this morning and it was a struggle to figure out what I had done all those years ago, but in saying that it does work [Eek!] even checked everything with a meter. To be honest the drawing looks more like a map of the London underground also its very possible I have made the odd mistake as I am feeling a bit frazzled today, anyway it does give the general idea....best of luck [Smile]
 -

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted November 26, 2010 07:34 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent Graham, Thank you!

This is basically what I have in mind to do. Something I might add is a stereo pre-amp for the ST-1200 twin track outputs. I find having no volume control near the machine (-and about 35 feet away from the screen) to be a real pain.

What I would like to do is set the controls on my receiver to standard levels at the beginning and control everything from the projectors after that.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC