8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » My first super 8 mm projector

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My first super 8 mm projector
Lucia Salas
Junior

- posted January 16, 2011 06:10 AM      Profile for Lucia Salas   Author's Homepage   Email Lucia Salas   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello! I'm about to purchase my first super 8 mm projector. Someone told me that chinon is quite good, at least here in Argentina, we do not have much collectors or sellers. I wanted to ask wich chinon do you recomend.
I have acces to the following (used) models:

Chinon Sp 350
Chinon 7800
Chinon Sound Sonore 7000
Chinon C-100
Chinon Sound Sp-330
Sound 8000

Would you say some of these are not so good?

Thanks!!

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2011 09:31 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your intention is to play sound films either now or sometime in the future, buy a sound model. They play silent films also. Otherwise the difference is mainly in features. Don't rule out other makes. Chinon is not the only maker of good projectors. Your budget may be the final determining factor on what you purchase as there is a large range of prices.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2011 09:36 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lucia...I have had the Chinon SP330. It was a pretty nice machine. I believe it had a 400' reel capacity and very nice clear sound. The only thing I did not like was the plastic gate and the lens housing was kind of wobbly.

I prefer all metal gates over plastic although that does not mean plastic gates will stratch or metal ones won't!

I ended up selling it but it did no harm to my films when I was using it.

Hope that helps!

Bill

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2011 12:01 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is some issues with the plastic gate warping. Read through this article:
http://reviews.ebay.com/Guide-to-Purchasing-Super-Reg-8mm-Movie-Projector_W0QQugidZ10000000000036324

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC