8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Films I'd Like to Have Had

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Films I'd Like to Have Had
David Ullom
Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2011 12:23 PM      Profile for David Ullom   Email David Ullom   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
During my college years, money was pretty tight, so my film wants weren't always realized. Then during my teaching years, I put my film collecting on the back burner, and by the time I was able to afford my wants, they weren't readily available. Woe was me.

I longed for nice prints of "It's a Wonderful Life," "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," "Judge Priest," "Life With Father," "Love Affair," "Rosemary's Baby," and "Of Human Bondage."

But my personal holy grail was a full-length print of "What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?" I'd seen it spotlighted in a monthly column in "Super 8 Filmmaker," but I never saw anything about it after that. Anywhere. (And I know I didn't imagine it.)

I also wanted the S8Snd editions of those great American-International sci-fi/horror titles in the original Ken catalogue ("The Undead," "The Spider," etc.); the Fox/Ken 400' B&W sound release of "Hush . . . Hush, Sweet Charlotte;" and the Castle 200' B&W sound editions of "The Mole People," "The Leech Woman," and "Monster on the Campus." And, yes, I know that neither Ken nor Castle ever released these titles (or, at least, released them the way I wanted them), but I can dream, can't I?

At least Patty, Maxine, and Laverne thought so.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 16, 2011 12:46 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 1978, I saw a Super 8 feature print of BABY JANE at a film store in Chicago; I think it was selling for $199.00, but I saw it was sitting there whenever I stopped by until the store closed. I could not afford to buy the print at that time (I was lucky if I could scrape up $35.00 for a digest), but I can tell you prints do exist. Since it wasn't through Warner Bros., I wonder if the quality of the prints were any good.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC