8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Of Cell Phones and Super-8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Of Cell Phones and Super-8
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 06, 2011 11:41 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So...

I was talked into doing a film show for the little kids at Church tonight.

A part of me really despises doing Super-8 shows away from the house because every last thing I need has to be hauled out to the car, set up somewhere else and in the end put back. Another part of me (the masochistic part...) loves doing it because of the challenge.

So I did the due diligence: I actually wrote a list of everything I might need. I did a two projector show and I brought my sound interface (...and cabling, and switch box...) because there is a stereo there. I brought my big screen and the two tripods I hang it from when I'm doing a road show. Didn’t do 'scope because frankly I thought I overdid it more than enough! I brought spare takeup reels to avoid rewinding while the other machine was showing a short reel. I even brought the small brush I clean the gates with.

I remembered everything except the small flashlight I like to have when I'm running two machines. I use it to see around the table so I can find films in the dark. I shine it through the leader to see when I am at the start of a film without bringing up the lights while the other machine is running. I use it to see what I am doing when threading up and rewinding.

I forgot it...(Oh Crap!)

I learned that the lighted display on my cell phone did the job: not as well, but good enough in a pinch.

-at that moment it was like finding yourself with a Swiss Army knife while you are stranded on a desert island! (-had that too!)

So a 21st century tool solved a 20th century problem: it actually makes my happy I have the thing!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Scott Mallory
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2011 01:44 AM      Profile for Scott Mallory   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago. I woke up to the sounds of tornado sirens. The place was pitch black. I used my phone to find that there was indeed a tornado warning and then hurried upstairs to get the kids. Once they were safely in the bathroom I searched for candles and a flashlight with working batteries-none. Then I remembered not only could I use my cellphone for limited light, but it also had a flashlight function. I kept the kids distracted from the storm with cartoons on Itunes on the Mac (which also lit the room up pretty good), while I used my phone for weather updates.

--------------------
Scott

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 07, 2011 06:25 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott
The terrible destruction of those Tornados has been on the news out here and hope all is well with you and your family. Last year when the city lost power from the 7:1 earthquake, it was my wife cellphone that really payed off. Like you, we had to find our way around in the dark to find the torches etc, "always flat when you need it" but also to be able to text everyone to make sure they were ok as the cellphone towers have battery back up for a while as all the land lines were off as well.

I used to poo-hoo people and there cellphones but not now. I have even seen staff at the cinema use them to show someone to there seat.....amazing [Smile]

Graham.

Scott Mallory
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2011 07:12 PM      Profile for Scott Mallory   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Graham, everything's well with me and I glad you guys are alright too. I live just outside Evansville, Indiana which is kind of in a valley. Tornados come through all the time, there was a real nasty one that touched down in 2005. Cellphones definitely have their place, I just wish I could get my wife to stop checking FaceBook on hers. Take Care!

--------------------
Scott

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 07, 2011 07:19 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We like to have a few of those LED flashlights with crank capacitor charging around the house. No batteries: no batteries to go dead.

They aren't as bright as any decent battery flashlight, but they are certainly brighter then a cell phone.

...you just need to remember to bring one!

(Excellent for kids: if they leave one turned on the worse that happens is the capacitor discharges.)

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2011 09:26 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve,
Bring extra lamps, just in case.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted May 07, 2011 11:53 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Michael,

I covered that contingency: one EFP plus one EFR, and I already had changed the lamp in my ST-1200 because the image was starting to dim and the lamp's envelope was graying.

It had the feel of starting a long drive with a leaky tire, so I swapped it out as a precaution.

What I didn't mention was actually we were Multiplexing it here. Upstairs they were running ladies' movie night with a laptop and a video projector. Problem was the woman that usually runs it was away so I had to set up both shows.

-for a guy who had never used a VP before I did OK!

--------------------

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2011 10:54 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
cool:

[Cool]

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC