8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig C3R

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig C3R
Chris Dodkin
Junior

- posted May 22, 2011 10:38 AM      Profile for Chris Dodkin   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Dodkin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found this site after buying this beauty from a junk store in Arizona last week.

-

It is a Eumig 8mm film camera - the C3R 'Continental' - Circa 1958.

This is a 'clockwork' silent movie camera, with rotatable lens turret - giving you the ability to rotate in a wide angle or telephoto lens to suit each shot. Each lens has an adapter that sits in front of the optical viewfinder, giving you the correct field of view each time.

Lens optics are:

Eumigon 1:1.9, 12.5mm
Unimark 2.0 x
Unimark 0.5x

The lenses look to be different from other C3Rs I've seen online - with the Unimark lenses being a US option perhaps? Anyone know?

It's built like a tank, and as far as I can tell, it still works - it winds and runs like it's new, and you can set the film speed in FPS using a small dial on the side.

It has manual aperture adjustment via a sliding lever next to the main lens, and a full time 'electric eye' light meter in the viewfinder for accurate exposure.

It came with a case, manuals, and 2 unopened rolls of Kodak 8mm film (expiry date May 1971)

Princely sum of $50 to me

When launched, this camera cost £84 17s. 3d [Eek!]

I just love the retro look and feel - and it reminds me so much of the later Eumig model my granddad used, and later gave to me.

|  IP: Logged

Colin Robert Hunt
Expert Film Handler

- posted May 22, 2011 01:41 PM      Profile for Colin Robert Hunt   Author's Homepage   Email Colin Robert Hunt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great looking camera Chris. I think the expiry date of 71 will mae those films a bit out of date. Was you looking for a cine camera? Do you intend to use the camera? Far as I know we can still buy and process standard 8 here in the uk. Not sure about U.S.A. These camers were built to last and be passed down to the next generation. Hope you can try it out on cine film. Standard 8 is a very nice gauge to shoot on and you should get some nice results. Projectors be it 8mm or dual gauge are not that expensive on e-bay should you not own one.

Chris Dodkin
Junior

- posted May 22, 2011 02:18 PM      Profile for Chris Dodkin   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Dodkin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Colin - I just ordered a couple of rolls of standard 8 film here in the US - so I'll be giving the camera a work-out as soon as they arrive.

I was in my teens the last time I shot 8mm, so I hope I can remember what to do!

Will probably have the results scanned to disc for editing - which makes the whole thing an expensive proposition, but what the hell [Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 22, 2011 03:22 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris you can buy Standard (regular) 8mm films stock in the US from John Schwind:

John Schwind's website

for $16/cartridge

To process your film, if you do not really sensitive to time you can drop to Wal-mart photo service for a half price (i.e $7/cart) that lab mostly charge . Turn around time will be 2 weeks, but you do not pay shipping at all.

--------------------
Winbert

Chris Dodkin
Junior

- posted May 22, 2011 03:33 PM      Profile for Chris Dodkin   Author's Homepage   Email Chris Dodkin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert - that's a great tip RE Walmart - and a great price too!

I ordered Cinechrome 50D (compare to Fuji Velvia 50D) Color Reversal Film from My Old Camera

I can get the film scanned to disc locally in San Diego, so just looking at Dev options now.

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 22, 2011 07:24 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Chris, if you buy films from John, ask more deeply about the Walmart processing route (how to drop and what you need to do), because he wrote about that in filmshooting forum just few weeks ago.

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC