8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projector Convert 400' take-up to 600' take-up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projector Convert 400' take-up to 600' take-up
Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 13, 2011 04:57 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just did this to my Sears Dual 8 Model 921600 and it worked great. So I thought I would share it on the forum. This will allow you to use a 600' reel instead of the 400' reel supplied with projector. The projector is made to take a 400' reel on take-up. However, a 600' reel fits on the pay-out witn no alterations.

Now to fit a 600' reel on take-up you simply have to make the slot larger where the film feeds out to the reel. This is accompoloished by simply cutting a small piece off plastic of the housing cover. I cut of about 1/4" using a hobby knife. Then I trimmed a 1/4' off the opening at the end of the film channel. That's it. It took me about 20 minutes. The projector handles the larger reel with no problems. I have posted pics to show what I did. I also have a 10 second video available to show the projector running smoothly with the larger reel. I believe this will also work on a B&H MS 10 as they are almost the same unit. When the 600' reel is mounted on take-up the clearance to the housing is very close. But it does not rub.

Enjoy! [Big Grin]

Pat DAlessio

-

-

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2011 09:19 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neat, Pasquale. Definitely worth a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 14, 2011 11:53 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad

Your welcome. It was fun to do and wasn't any work. The larger take-up reel does come very close to the housing but it does not rub. And if it should you can always lengthen the cut. It does not ruin the cosmectics of the projector either. Mine actually looks better than the pics. If you get that "white look" when you cut the plastic you can always touch it up with marker or paint.

Have fun! [Smile]

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 14, 2011 12:10 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a number of machines with this design including Hanimex, Cinerex etc. I converted my Cinerex in this way some 3 years ago,.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 14, 2011 01:25 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin

And I thought I had a great idea [Big Grin]

I knew there were more machines but I couldn't remember which ones. I think some Chinon's also.

PatD

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2011 06:10 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...And I thought I was going to have to wait to find an old
"Extend-A-Reel" gismo on Ebay. Who knew?! Pasquale, I'd love to see close-up pictures of the unit with the covers and reels on it. Just so I can guage how much I would need to "chuck" off.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 19, 2011 01:21 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad

I hope this pic is good enough. I can't take very clear close ups with my cam.

I know it looks like the reel is touching, but it's not. If your reel should rub yyou can always make the knotch longer.
Pat

-

-

-

[ June 19, 2011, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Pasquale DAlessio ]

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 19, 2011 08:56 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great pictures, Pasquale. Thank you very much.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 21, 2011 03:14 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad

Your welcome! Please let me know how you make out with the conversion.

PatD

Martin Jones
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 21, 2011 03:39 PM      Profile for Martin Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pasquale,
I see that you have a Fuji Finepix. I thought I couldn't get clear close up pictures with mine until I discovered there is special close up (Macro)setting (which also prevents the zoom being used) that lets me get within about 6cms (10 cms on your camera) with great focus. Check your Instructions book (page 29).It involves a different way of firing the shutter; pushing part way down focusses the camera; when you are happy with the focus, push all the way down to take the picture.
Martin

--------------------
Retired TV Service Engineer
Ongoing interest in Telecine....

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 22, 2011 11:55 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Martin

Thanks for thr tip but I don't have the instruction book. I bought the camera used a few years ago. But now that I know it has a macro setting I will try to figure it out. How did you know I have a Finpix?

Cheers!

PatD

PS. My wife is from Kent,UK. We visit family every year.

Boris Rabinsky
Junior

- posted June 25, 2011 11:48 PM      Profile for Boris Rabinsky   Email Boris Rabinsky   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How did you know I have a Finpix?
Its not Martin but here is how he might know you had a FinePix. Saved one of your pics to the local drive and clicked properties for the file:
 -

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC