8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bray Studios

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bray Studios
Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 12, 2013 04:27 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it looks like the home of Hammer Films is due for demolition.
Bray Studios,where the classic Hammer horrors were born is now under threat.

The showbusiness agent Neville Hendricks,who owns the site,is
building seven homes there as he has let the studios
run down for this purpose.I understand that there is a page on Facebook where a petition is underway headed by Terry Gilliam
and Richard O'Brien.A sad comedown for a World famous studio
that until very recently was still functioning.

[ May 12, 2013, 07:47 AM: Message edited by: Hugh Thompson Scott ]

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 12, 2013 08:19 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So truly sad, with such history there. (gee, someone ought to "sneak" into there and see if there are any old curios that should be rescued before it's just bull dozed. One might be surprised!) [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted May 12, 2013 08:22 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The petition can be found here - Hammer fans please sign: https://www.facebook.com/#!/savebraystudios?directed_target_id=106861216022812

Apparently there's plenty of evidence that the owner was refusing bookings - claiming the studio was fully occupied - in order to later claim that there wasn't enough demand to keep it going.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2013 01:39 AM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would this be allowed to happen in any other
Country apart from England this once great
Nation of owes is slowly getting worse

--------------------
t.smith

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 13, 2013 04:48 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Duly noted and signed Adrian,this petition doesn't need you to sign up to Facebook by the way, to anyone interested, and I ask
forum members to add their weight behind this,it's only a signature,but could save a much loved working film studio.

Guy Taylor, Jr.
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 13, 2013 06:27 AM      Profile for Guy Taylor, Jr.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Such a shame. Some scenes in Alien were also shot here; as was The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

--------------------
Guy Taylor

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 14, 2013 12:44 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya know, when I first saw the topic "Bray Studios", my first thought was the Bray animation studio, which was one of the very first commercial animation studios in the U.S. which produced such early serialized animated series such as "Grouch Chasers" (that might be "Gloom Chasers"), and they produced animation from around 1910 to the late 1920's and might well have made it slightly into the 1930's.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Timothy Price
Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2013 01:09 PM      Profile for Timothy Price   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Done deal! Thanks for the post. I've been introducing my son to some Hammer films. We watched The Hound Of The Baskervilles and The Mummy over the last few weeks. I'll give him a year for the Chris Lee Dracula films. Thanks again for the post.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted May 14, 2013 01:10 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I would ask any forum members that have enjoyed Hammers
Films over the years, to add their names to the petition kindly
supplied by Adrian,that we try to keep an important piece of
cinema history alive. I would repeat that you DON'T have to
it is entirely free.Thankyou all.

Thomas Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted May 14, 2013 06:53 PM      Profile for Thomas Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just added my name to the petition

--------------------
t.smith

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 15, 2013 03:44 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Please don't forget ladies & gentlemem that this petion needs your support,you don't need to join Facebook,only add your name to
the list to try and preserve this very important Studio.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 15, 2013 12:10 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the majority of your Hammer Films wouldn't be here
without this working studio, please give your support.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted June 15, 2013 12:53 PM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have to say in the last 12 months the Hammer Films have given me more pleasure than any other and have no hesitation than to endorse this to the limit. Click the like folks!

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 15, 2013 04:22 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't use facebook and have no interest in it but I would like to sign the petition...I clicked on the link but have no idea what to do. Can someone explain to me how to do it. I do not want to join facebook.

Thanks, Bill [Confused] [Smile]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 15, 2013 08:54 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem Bill, and thankyou for your support, click onto Adrians
link,scroll down until you come to "Save Bray Studios" left hand side , click
and you're there, thanks for your support Bill.

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 16, 2013 01:43 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I went to the link...there are tons of SAVE BRAY STUDIO's to click on and it just brought up nothing really. So I don't see anything to "sign"

Sorry, Bill [Frown]

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 20, 2013 12:37 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill,just click on Adrians link & you'll be taken to the site, on the
left side of the screen are letters etc,scroll down and there are
some with a box saying about "saving Bray from luxury Housing Plan",click on
it and you'll be taken to the page to place your name etc,you
don't need to sign up to facebook.

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2013 04:36 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last I heard a few years ago was that Gerry Anderson took it over and was planning to make live action films there, older members will remember the TV series Space 1999. He has since died. We have lost so much in this country. I think it was MP Roy Hattersley who said we were very good at opening museums, showing everybody what we used to make.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 25, 2013 04:55 AM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
That is so true Robert,successive Governments have managed
to turn an innovative country into a Financial playground for
second rate Bankers & Estate agents.They keep telling us to look
to the future,which they make bleaker by the day,while systematically destroying our past.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted June 25, 2013 08:01 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Signed and small donation made. Best of luck to the studio.

Cheers!

PatD [Wink]

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2013 12:18 PM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very true Hugh, successive Governments, they have all let us down. Wikipedia says Hammer's last film production there was 1966, anyone know why they stopped. I remember their last ever productions The Hammer House of Horror, made for TV. One of my favourite films 'She', starring Peter Cushing was made by Hammer. This was a very impressive production to come out of a British studio at that time.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted June 25, 2013 04:53 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Part of the reason they moved Robert was as you know, Hammer
were a very efficient studio,making more than one picture at a time and very quickly,
and so they utilised other studios, including Elstree. The other
part was that while at Bray,they were in partnership with
Columbia,although they also had a close relationship with ABPC
ABC Cinema chains as well. ABPC finally bought into the Hammer (Associated British Picture Corp. & Associated British Cinemas)
franchise with Hammer holding control.ABPC were influential in
their association with Hammer,which finally led to a deal with
20th Century Fox,just as Hammer's association with Columbia
was coming to an end,but it would cost them Bray Studios,
ABPC insisting that Elstree Studios be used instead.After "The
Gorgon" filmed at Bray in '63, Hammer shot the rest at Elstree.
Hope this helps.

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 04, 2013 08:05 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure there are folks out there that would give their support,
bar the "Facebook" tag, HAVE NO FEARS, I WAS THE SAME, I
DO NOT HAVE ANY RELATIONSHIP TO FACEBOOK, AND NEITHER
WILL YOU, PUT YOUR NAME TO THE LIST AND HELP SAVE YOUR BELOVED STUDIO FROM HARM.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC