8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Speakers 4Ohm/8Ohm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Speakers 4Ohm/8Ohm
Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 24, 2013 02:41 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know enough (anything really) about how this works. I bought a B&H 16mm with a detachable speaker. It says 8Ohms on it. Is that working with the Elmo GS-1200 or would it do something to the port (I am not 100% sure, but think the Eumig speaker I have is 4Ohms)

Would be nice to know, just in case it could mess up anything

Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 24, 2013 03:52 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can safely use 8 ohm speakers with any projector. The Eumig amplifiers were designed for maximum output into a 4 ohm speaker, buy you can still use 8 ohm speakers safely with Eumig's (you will just get less audio power output than with a 4 ohm speaker). You cannot safely use 4 ohm speakers with any projector other than Eumig's (unless you connect two 4 ohm speakers in series to get an 8 ohm impedance) .

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 24, 2013 04:01 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm ... I've been using the 4Ohm speaker of the Eumig on my Elmo 16 CL and Elmo ST-1200D MO as well as the GS-1200/GS-800 ... Sounds the same on all those (a bit rattly at loud parts, but I think that's the speaker on a tiled floor vibrating)

Thanks for the info

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 24, 2013 04:19 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can damage the amplifier by using 4 ohm speakers on projectors designed for 8 ohm speakers. That rattling noise is precisely the damage that will occur by overdriving the speaker circuit.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted June 24, 2013 04:29 PM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, then I'll leave the 8 Ohm speaker in it's place ... Doesn't sound like anythings blown yet, crossing my fingers

Thanks again

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted June 25, 2013 05:56 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is news to me!

Can a speaker damage a the projector amp if its run through another amp (aux-out on projector to aux-in on external amp, which the speakers are hooked up to).

James.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted June 25, 2013 06:04 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No,

Because in that case the external amp is providing all the power.

The power out of an Aux audio connection is extremely small: thousanths of a watt.

The problem with running an amp meant for 8 ohms through 4 ohm speakers is the power through the speakers and the Amp will be twice what it was designed for at any given volume setting, and the temperatures will run higher, and if you run it hard enough and long enough you will cook something for sure!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC