8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig P8 Novo Phonomatic

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig P8 Novo Phonomatic
James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2013 12:31 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm new here, but glad to be on:

I've had a Eumig P8 Novo Phonomatic (the one with the modern bulb and autothread)for over 20 years and never had the cord that goes to it (it's a strange cord).

Now that someone gave me about 20 standard 8mm films, I want to view them because they won't play on my Chinon SS1200 or my Sankyo 600. I know that I will need a new rubber drive belt, but I can't get the thing to even turn on (no motor, no life, no bulb, nothing). I was using a Sony reel to reel cord and it could be that the Eumig's terminals aren't making contact (they are spaced wider than usual).

1. Any one made a plug for their P8 Novo?
2. Is there a fuse or something I'm missing? I see a capacitor/condensor in there and wondered if it failed open would it render this thing a boat anchor?

Thanks,
Pete

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Far too many machines--I'm sick

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted June 26, 2013 06:47 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a mains chord for the Eumig p8, listed on Grahame Newnham's web page in the UK.
http://www.pathefilm.freeserve.co.uk/lists/filmlista.htm

I once had the original P8 with the Phonomatic attachment, and the tape synchronization to the tape recorder worked like a charm!

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted June 26, 2013 07:28 PM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! I see that mains cord listed--I'm going to contact the gentleman selling it.

Love that ad that you shared!

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted July 03, 2013 07:14 AM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all--Well, I was able to fix the Eumig P8!

Just in case this helps someone: I suspect that mine hadn't been turned on in 30+ years (it still had brand new rolls of 8mm/16mm film in the box dated 1969 ish when I got it). When I took the back cover off, I noticed that like a lot of European electronics, it had a mains power safety interlock system (like my Revox A77 has). The back of the case makes contact with those terminals to complete the mains connection. The flat terminals on the main part of the machine and the "touch" pins on the back cover where dingy, dark gray covered (I guess from sitting up so long). I took a pencil eraser and cleaned those to a shiny gold color, pulled out the motor carbons (they looked unused) and jabbed my sony reel to reel power cord in there. I turned the motor all the way to slow and powered her up. Smelled old, but no smoke and I slowly turned the motor up to fast--old smell went away and she ran good!

I noticed that the bulb didn't light (mine has the tiny 100w state-of-the art lamp in it and I remember what I read here about cleaning the bulbs terminals. I grabbed a paper towel and pulled the bulb out, cleaned the terminals with a pencil eraser and powered it up again--WE HAVE LIGHT!

So, it's is working fine now--but I need to find a round belt as the one in there has turned to tar--I'm working it out now with alcohol (going down to the rubber shop this morning to source one)--Hopefully the shutter/gear mechanism will turn (I can turn it fine by hand) and I can try an 8mm test roll that I have before trying to look at Captain Marvel or something precious..lol!

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2013 10:04 AM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watched serveral 8mm prints yesterday -- amazed at how quiet/smooth this thing runs! One last prob to sort out though. The lens assembly was shifting in and out with the lever like many Eumigs do (view, thread, rewind), but yesterday it stopped and I have to move the lens with my hand--lever now will only unlock the gate.

Anyone had and fixed this problem? Thanks!

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 04, 2013 10:24 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm missing something here James, but from what I remember of the Eumig P8 that I had back in the 50's, you focussed the picture by rotating the lens in the mount, and the only purpose of the lever below the lens is to open the gate for threading and cleaning.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2013 10:51 AM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the reply! The focus and zoom are both accomplished with the lens ring and pulling on the lens, respectively. As you state, the lever should open and close the gate--and it was doing that when I took it out of storage. But now, the lever won't slide the gate open and closed, I have to pull and push the gate with my hand. Lever stops at each of the 3 positions but gate doesn't budge--seems to be sticky--I'm wondering if something is jammed.

Showing a film requires this:
Set to forward
Slide gate open slightly w palm of hand
Autothread
Stop
Slide gate closed with palm of hand
Show film
Stop
Attach film for rewind
Grab gate and push hard to wide open
Power wind kicks in automatically
Lever= useless

Because of the Eumig autothread mechanism/attachment the lever still will lock the loop formers --by contacting them

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 04, 2013 11:04 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the slide needs some lubrication. Try getting a couple of drops of oil down into the sliding groove and also on the axle of the lever. Let it soak in for an hour or so and then see if the mechanism has freed up.

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

James Peterson
Film Handler

- posted July 04, 2013 11:09 AM      Profile for James Peterson   Email James Peterson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, lubing slide now. Can't figure how to get to shaft--covered by shutter mechanism--I might have to dismantle transport

--------------------
James "Pete" Peterson II

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC