8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » FAME with Vinegar

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FAME with Vinegar
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 01, 2013 06:45 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just ordered the two reel Fame digest and it arrived smelling like vinegar. It's my first vinegar print! It was bound to happen I guess. Using Filmguard is taking down the smell a bit but is it dangerous to keep it. I keep reading posts about it being contagious and it will infect my other films. How far does it have to be kept away and should it be quarantined?! I'm half kidding - but I don't want to risk my collection for a Fame digest!

|  IP: Logged

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted July 01, 2013 06:57 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, I think you have answered your own question - throw it out!

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 01, 2013 07:10 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian, keep it away from your other films, I would give it as much ventilation as possible, keep it in card containers,as cans will
make it worse. I have a 16mm copy of would you believe "By The
Light of the Silvery Moon" on B/W stock, I got it cheap and it reminds me of myself & my pal laying bricks to the tune, but back to the problem. Isolate it,keep it well vented, and there are sachets that you can place to absorb the acetic gases produced.
I also soaked the print in Filmrenew, which seems to have kept the problem at bay. There was a chap on the forum that made
his own film treatment, that was as good as Filmrenew, and at
a fraction of the cost.

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 01, 2013 07:29 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian

If you decide to keep it(I wouldn't) keep it at least 3 blocks down the street! And always take into account wind direction [Eek!]

PatD

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2013 06:02 AM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fame is a great digest. One thing I would do Brian is keep the reels in open air for a week or two, then check again.

A while back, I did a post about ordering some films from Australia. Two films arrived, smelling like STRONG vinegar. I treated both with Filmguard and left them in open air (outside) for a few days. When I re-checked them, only one film had the smell, and the other film had no sign of vinegar at all.

The bottom line is, your Fame digest may have been stored with other films with the vinegar problem, but it could be ok.

Also, if you unroll a few feet of the film and let it hang free, does it have a straight curl, or a sort of twisted look?

James.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 02, 2013 06:22 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with James here: I received a vinegar smelling print once and in the end it turned out to be polyester and therefore VS immune!

I believe it was stored with vinegared acetate prints and picked up the odor.

If your Fame turns out to be Poly, there is nothing to worry about.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Vidar Olavesen
Film God

- posted July 02, 2013 06:33 AM      Profile for Vidar Olavesen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And if it's poly and smells, would it harm the other films? Even if that poly print is okay, it's be crap if it crept onto the acetates

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 02, 2013 07:51 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it would, but just for caution (even just peace of mind) there's no harm in keeping it isolated until it airs out.

My print de-stinked within a month.

--------------------

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted July 02, 2013 07:53 AM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You want fries with that? [Eek!]

Lee Bombard
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2013 08:44 AM      Profile for Lee Bombard   Email Lee Bombard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a bit of info from The Image Permanence Institute on vinegar syndrome:

https://www.imagepermanenceinstitute.org/resources/newsletter-archive/v12/vinegar-syndrome

Keep in mind that just because a film is polyester based doesn't mean that there couldn't be acetate leader or other footage cut into the print.

You absolutely don't want film affected with vinegar syndrome around...

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 02, 2013 08:47 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the biggest culprit in my case was the cardboard boxes.

--------------------

Jim Schrader
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2013 09:06 AM      Profile for Jim Schrader   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a 16mm print with vinegar i have left it opened now for years and the smell has diminished greatly, if it has great color and is not curling or other problems just leave it open in another room if its curling yep throw it out.

--------------------
jim schrader
"Let's see “do I have that title already?"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted July 02, 2013 12:41 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's surprising, hearing that that print, "FAME", has vinegar syndrome ...

but then, there were different print runs on different film stocks for some titles.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted July 02, 2013 02:56 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know 16mm prints suffer with this but didnt realise our 8mm prints were starting to, first red now vineger [Confused] [Frown]

Jonathan Trevithick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted July 02, 2013 05:46 PM      Profile for Jonathan Trevithick   Email Jonathan Trevithick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I almost bought a 16mm vinegar print from an uneducated seller yesterday. Fortunately, when asked he told me it did have the smell. Naturally, I declined on that one. As with many sellers who are not collectors, he had no idea VS was a problem for films.

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted July 02, 2013 06:30 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then theres the plenty of people selling them knowing fine well what they are !!!

Personally I think its a binner if its going.

Best Mark.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC