8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » lubing my elmo st180/1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lubing my elmo st180/1200
Moshe Yitzhak
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 22, 2013 12:50 PM      Profile for Moshe Yitzhak   Email Moshe Yitzhak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wha is the best way to lube the gauge area and all the moving parts with?

is singer sewing machine oil is good? or WD40 SPRAY?
or any major brand i may buy here locally?

|  IP: Logged

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 23, 2013 01:53 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest Moshe, and it is a good question, I have found sewing machine oil okay, it is a light oil like the oil used for clocks.
There are better people on here who can advise, but seems reasonable to use it.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 23, 2013 02:23 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sewing machine oil can be used for old projectors (let say until the early sixties) but the more recent ones were not intended to be rubed by the owner. A kind of grease was put when manufactured and was supposed to last for years (which is indeed what happened). I would be careful before putting any oil in a recent projector. Wait for advises from someone who did it before.

--------------------
Dominique

Moshe Yitzhak
Expert Film Handler

- posted July 23, 2013 11:36 PM      Profile for Moshe Yitzhak   Email Moshe Yitzhak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Dom and hugh.
And If I would refer only to the film trail and the film gauge area? I think sewing machine oil can be good. or not [Confused] [Confused]

Someone told me that better use "resin-free ball bearing grease" now whats that in english ? [Confused] as I didnt get what it means.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 24, 2013 01:11 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ball bearing is a system with small balls. Of course, resine free means without resine and I suppose that you know what grease is. An English native will for sure explain that better.

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted July 25, 2013 05:27 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Moshe, you should read Lindsay's message in the toppic "Help with very sick Eumig". She is reffering to a product she used, you could make some searchs to see if you could use it, too in your projector. We're progressing...

--------------------
Dominique

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 26, 2013 09:36 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
Moshe, any light oil, like in clock repair, will do the job. Even the
heaviest is better than none. I honestly think there is this view
that if it isn't the makers recommended lube, every thing else is no good.A light oil if needed should do the job.No lube, means
problems.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted July 27, 2013 09:54 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is still such a thing as chemistry though, and if the lube you apply actually dissolves the part or reacts with the remainders of the lube already there, it is not a lubricant at all.

With irreplaceable parts erring on the side of caution is wise.

Put maple syrup in your car engine and see if any lubricant is better than none at all.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted July 28, 2013 06:37 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Here here Steve!!

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Hugh Thompson Scott
Film God

- posted July 28, 2013 07:43 PM      Profile for Hugh Thompson Scott   Email Hugh Thompson Scott       Edit/Delete Post 
A syrup, not being an oil isn't a good idea, but sunflower oil
might be a step in the right direction, not an engine oil, but one that would stop an engine seizing up, in a pinch.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC