8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Imperial P8m

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Imperial P8m
Vern Weed
Junior

- posted December 30, 2013 09:32 PM      Profile for Vern Weed   Email Vern Weed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought one of these on ebay and wondered what all the spools and things were for that are on the back of it.
I will be trying to put some old family films into digital form and this seems to be a popular unit to do that. Hopefully when it gets here, there will not be too many problems, but this seems to be a friendly site and I may be asking for some advice.

|  IP: Logged

Pasquale DAlessio
Film God

- posted December 30, 2013 10:06 PM      Profile for Pasquale DAlessio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vern

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!!

Ask away .

happy New year!

PatD

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 30, 2013 11:06 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vern,
all those rollers on the backside of the Eumig p8 Imperial, are for use to sync the picture with a sound track recorded on a reel-to-reel tape recorder. The magnetic tape was fed around the rollers on the back of the Eumig. The movable roller is actually a sliding resistor, or potentiometer, which is wired into the projectors motor cicruit. The speed of the projector is thus automatically regulated by the sped of the tape recorder.
This was the state of the art back in the 1950's, before the advent of magnetic sound stripe applied directly to the film.
I had a P8 Imperial myself, and it synced very well with music and commentary recorded on tape, but was never considered accurate enough for lip sync.
Bolex had a similar sync device for their Bolex M8 projector, and Noris had a really neat projector which had a cassette tape player/recorder built right in.
All these double system sound systems went away when magnetic stripe sound took hold.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 31, 2013 02:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When the tape recorder was in pause mode the sliding arm cut out the projector's motor.
The film was laced to a sync mark, as was the tape.
Upon releasing the tape recorder's pause control both film and tape started in sync.
It was quite something in the early 60s!

--------------------
Maurice

Vern Weed
Junior

- posted December 31, 2013 07:37 PM      Profile for Vern Weed   Email Vern Weed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting, but must have taken a lot of room to put both machines together. Thanks for the info.
Can hardly wait for this machine to show up.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 01, 2014 04:12 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vern
When I had my Eumig I used an ironing board as a projector stand. The Grundig sat on the left of the projector. These were arranged so that access to both units was easy.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 01, 2014 08:30 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used a Philips tape recorder with my Eumig Imperial (actually my projector was the original P8 with the Phonomat attachment, which Eumig later integrated into the P8 Imperial). It kept very good sync for music, commentary, and sound effects. With my set up accuracy, as I recall, was about 2-3 secs after a 10 minute reel. For what it was intended it worked great, and who knows, now that striped camera film has gone away, maybe these double sound systems need a second look.
Incidentally, can you still buy reel-to-reel tape recorders and tape?

-

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Vern Weed
Junior

- posted January 18, 2014 02:38 PM      Profile for Vern Weed   Email Vern Weed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I got the projector a while back and it is a lesson learned. I have learned that on ebay the term "untested" means that "I tried it and it is broken so I will call it untested".
There are some wires broken out of the end of a cardboard and wax capacitor??? looking thing and the projector is just dead.
But since I have 4 other projectors now, I'll mess with it later.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 18, 2014 02:58 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is possible that the capacitor is used to "kick start" the motor. This is probably why your projector appears to be dead.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC