8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Who released this Marilyn reel?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who released this Marilyn reel?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 10, 2014 01:08 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a puzzler here ...

I lucked out on a very mysterious reel!

It's a Marilyn Monroe reel entitled 'Marilyn" (duh!) on LPP film stock, running 17 minutes. It was apparently taken from a full length documentary, but it consists of ...

Beginning with full 20th Century Fox logo
Trailer to 'Niagra" (B/W) and then color footage from same film ...

Full musical number 'Heatwave'

and the best part ...

approximately three minutes from Marilyn's un-finished film "Something's Got To Give", the scene when she's swimming "nakey" (and Phil Silver's reaction to such)and then apparently some early footage from the production when she's modeling some of the clothes for the film.

The reel then ends abruptly without a THE END credit, but just a "rated G"
ratings thing.

Most curious!

I'd love to know who released this!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 15, 2014 07:56 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not many takers on your post Osi but I was also interested in the films as I have one of hers myself. ‘Marilyn Monroe Story’ is an excellent print on black and white film stock and pin sharp at that. Mine is from Pathe and really fascinating to watch. From what I have been able to gleam Perry’s did some prints on colour stock so this will have a tint I’m a guessing although worth having a go at. Over the years quite a few bits a pieces came to 8mm of Marilyn in the form of documentaries but the MM story takes some beating.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 15, 2014 12:30 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually selling one on ebay (well it's up for bids), which is called "The Legend of Marilyn Monroe", and hour long documentary hosted by John Huston, (with music by Elmer Bernstien even!) on LPP stock, with a sepia tone color to it,

... and then there's a second one I haven't listed yet, which is a shorter 30 minute documentary hosted by a very young Mike Wallace, that was produced by Industrial films, (it even has sections on the super 8 print where it says "place commercial here"!, which also includes "The Seven year Itch digest with it.

--------------------

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2014 01:38 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember correctly,this is edited,(however choppily!)from the full length documentary MARILYN,released by Fox to cash after her death (and narrated by Rock Hudson).I remember being surprized,even at the age of 11,that it did not mention the ,then,recent THE MISFITS or SOME LIKE IT HOT,since they were not Fox productions!

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted January 16, 2014 04:04 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would be interested in the Mike Wallace film if its on B&W stock.
Your in box is fully by the way Osi.
Regards

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 16, 2014 12:23 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee ...

Unfortunately, my PM will allow me to send PM's but nor receive them, don't ask me why.

I will send you a PM with my e-mail address and more info.

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC