8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Telecine 18 fps film with 24 fps digital camera, what is the result?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Telecine 18 fps film with 24 fps digital camera, what is the result?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted January 18, 2014 12:48 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have some home movies that need to be transferred to DVD. Knowing I am Indonesia sending them to a professional transfer facility in USA or UK will be very expensive not to count the possibility films are missing during the shipping.

So I am going to do myself with a transfer box I bought.

My home movies was shot at 18 fps.

What I knew the later digital camera available now is capable to shoot at 24 fps. My questions now are:

1. Will that give flickers if I capture the 18 fps with 24 fps camera?

2. What will be the result if I play these home movies (18 fps) on my projector set at 24 fps, and my digital camera capture them at 24 fps, but later I am slowing down the film on the computer?

thanks

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 18, 2014 02:58 PM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In at least one case you are going to get flicker or glowing brightness due to the fact 24 fps on you camera is not compatible to 18 fps ; perhaps 24 fps from a 3-bladed shutter is compatible with your camera, although I might be wrong, in fact the actual speed would be 24x3=72 frames per second (with the same frame projected three times). SInce this is a multiple of 24, it might be OK to film with you camera off the screen: then you can slow it down to 18 on your NLE. Try a little bit and let us know.

--------------------
Maurizio

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC