8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Some quick DIY Box Art Fun

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Some quick DIY Box Art Fun
Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2014 10:41 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The box art of 8mm films add to the fun of collecting digests. When the original box is missing I find it fun to create new box art. Most of the time I just find a good resolution image of the original artwork to recreate the box but sometimes new artwork is in order.

Tools:
Photoshop: The program of choice to create the design
Photo Printer: My old Epson R200 still does the job
Adhesive Paper: I use adhesive mailing label sheets I find at the local Staples.

Applying the printed label to an old unused box!

Enjoy!
Terry

|  IP: Logged

Douglas Meltzer

- posted May 07, 2014 11:37 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,

Nicely done! You've also reminded me that I've wanted to get Cosmic Monsters for years!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted May 07, 2014 04:20 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought some super 8 films from super 8 warehouse in The Netherlands and got a free copy of a small magazine (Take One Number 1). This first edition (but they say they don't know if there will be more) is dedicated to 8mm cover art. The magazine has 15 pages and is small in size : a curiosity.

--------------------
Dominique

Ernie Zahn
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 07, 2014 04:52 PM      Profile for Ernie Zahn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very cool! I was thinking about making a Deviant Art account just to post custom art. Maybe we could make a central place for all the art people make in order for other to get access to it.

--------------------
Check out the trailer for my feature length Spaghetti-style Western:

Six and Bisti

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2014 11:17 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doug
quote:
You've also reminded me that I've wanted to get Cosmic Monsters for years!
It's a very dark print - I must admit the box now makes it worthwhile!

Ernie
quote:
Maybe we could make a central place for all the art people make in order for other to get access to it.
I like that idea. I think many collectors here make their own box art and it might be nice for others to be able access them to print for their own collections.

I've uploaded some to my Flickr page - anyone should be able to download them if they like.

I usually just make them as I need them.

Cheers
Terry

Box Art Templates on Flickr

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted May 08, 2014 01:54 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone would like to contact me I would be happy to put your images on my site The Reel Image (UK) I would make a dedicated section for you with your contact details etc.

The covers I have made for my own film are @300dpi. Size within reason is no problem.

The Reel Image (UK)

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Terry Lagler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted May 09, 2014 08:23 AM      Profile for Terry Lagler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David
I would be happy to share some of my cover templates on your site.
I work with 200dpi as I'm not dealing with high rez images to begin with but I find it more than adequate.

Let me know which e-mail I should send them to. You can PM if you like.
Cheers
Terry

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC