8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Screen Cleaning

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Screen Cleaning
Dave Hackett
Junior

- posted December 17, 2015 02:57 PM      Profile for Dave Hackett   Email Dave Hackett   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an old Radiant Deluxe Meteor projection screen. I don't know what these screens are made of or what the care procedures are.
It has a rough texture and has yellowed a bit with age. Also, at the very bottom there are some spots which look like rust where it was touching the metal roller. Is there a way to clean this type of screen?

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 17, 2015 03:31 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never used it myself and I don't know if it would suit for your kind of screen but there is a special product sold in the US : https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/transf/none/path/sda0c94d89b4b9f1b/image/ib7ef3c939d680ba2/version/1365267234/image.jpg

--------------------
Dominique

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 17, 2015 03:34 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a beaded screen. They do some cool things, but ease of maintenance isn't one of their strengths: it's too easy to dislodge the little glass beads while you are cleaning.

The yellowing is pretty common. I've heard the best thing to do about that is set the screen up facing sunlight and let the sun bleach the yellowing out. Let's hope it works better for you than it did for me!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 19, 2015 02:22 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Steve says it certainly sounds like a glass-beaded screen, a once popular surface to achieve good screen brilliance.
But now probably an item for the trash. Unfortunately.

--------------------
Maurice

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC