8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bulb Comparison Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bulb Comparison Question
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2015 11:28 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do I decide which bulb to buy? I see what must be about 20 different choices and they're all different prices? If I pay $40 versus $17 does this mean I'm buying a bulb that's inferior quality?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 30, 2015 11:48 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of this is volume driven.

Years ago I got my lamps at photo shops for about $25 a pop. Lately I'm getting them from Internet based companies for under 10 bucks.

What's the difference?

The bulb in the camera shop may have sat on the shelf for months, and sometimes the guy even had to order it for me.

The internet company is selling dozens or hundreds per week and their unit cost is tiny.

Bulbs of the same code should be the same brightness, the same lifetime and the same electrical specs. As long as you find them with reputable brand names, buy 'em cheap as you can and you'll do just fine!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2015 02:36 PM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Larry Urbanski at Urbanski Films has a good selection. Steve is right-you can get some great deals from specialty companies that have fresh stock. However, if the price is too good to be true, take a pass. I ordered ELC lamps in bulk and while they were the correct bulbs, they were crappy in terms of projection and I got a hot spot in the middle of the image and dimness near the edges (and a ton of light on my ceiling!). I need to find a dentist who uses these ELCs for work. Take Mr. Klare's advice and stick with a brand name you know (G.E., Fuji, etc.). What lamp are you looking for?

--------------------
Paul Suchy

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 30, 2015 11:50 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DNE for my Chinons. I found a website called BulbDirect and they have several for sale but all different prices.

Paul Suchy
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2015 07:14 AM      Profile for Paul Suchy   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Suchy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see what you mean with the price differences. The cheapest is a Sylvania and that is a decent brand. I've had good experiences with bulbdirect; maybe you could contact them and ask about the price differences. They answered my questions and their delivery is fast.

--------------------
Paul Suchy

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC