8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon 330 & small 2.75" reels

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon 330 & small 2.75" reels
Robert Covington
Junior

- posted August 11, 2016 09:39 AM      Profile for Robert Covington   Email Robert Covington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all. I'm new to all this movie stuff. I've never owned a projector or any reels. However, that changed over the weekend. My eccentric cousin died last week and his widow gave me a medium size box full of different size movie reels. Most of it looks to be the smaller 2 3/4" super 8mm reels (with about a 3/8s inner diameter that should fit on the projector.

I was also given a Chinon sp 330 projector that seems to work fine and the light works. That being said, the projector doesn't seem to fit the smaller reels. The projector seems to only fit the larger reels with 1/2" inner diameter. Is there something I can do to get the smaller reels to work on the Chinon without having to buy a different projector?
thanks

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 11, 2016 10:21 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert
The Chinon SP330 is a Super 8 sound projector and the Super 8 spools have an inner core of 12mm (around half an inch.)
You also have standard (regular) 8 spools, these have an inner core of 8mm (about three-eights on an inch).
If the latter spools contain standard (regular) 8 film then they cannot be used on the projector.
Whilst both films are 8mm wide they differ greatly by the size of their perforations.
See the attachment below.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_8_film

[ August 11, 2016, 02:16 PM: Message edited by: Maurice Leakey ]

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Covington
Junior

- posted August 11, 2016 12:58 PM      Profile for Robert Covington   Email Robert Covington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It took me a while to figure out where the reply button was at haha

Thanks for the quick reply Maurice. I guess I can only use the Chinon projector for the larger reels. That's what I suspected but good to know.

My cousin's wife said that there use to be an older Sears projector somewhere but she hasnt seen it yet. That's probably what he was using for the smaller movie reels.

I'd like to be able to play both type of home movies and record them in digital format (DVDs?) for the kids and grand kids but it looks like I'm going to need another projector.

I read some postings on the forum where people seem to like Elmo (1200 series?) Eumig, and Bolex. It also seemed like people are down on the Chinon projectors in that they have a reputation for scratching the film. There are a lot of projectors on ebay. If you were to buy a utility projector that plays both super8 and regular 8mm film, which brand of projector would you look for both in mid-range (let's say $150-$400) and upper range (above $400).

This might turn out to be a fun hobby if I can get a decent projector to eventually collect movies. Friends my age might enjoy a projector movie night every now and then. Could be fun.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 11, 2016 02:08 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Chinon projector should not scratch films if you keep the gate scrupulously clean. I have many Chinons and have never had any trouble.
For a dual gauge projector probably the best would be a Eumig such as the S810D.
http://www.van-eck.net/img/itable/images/unknown_1424179956804.jpg
If you do consider such a projector make sure it comes with all the parts necessary for the gauge change.

--------------------
Maurice

Robert Covington
Junior

- posted August 11, 2016 03:46 PM      Profile for Robert Covington   Email Robert Covington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Eumig S810D doesnt look very complicated. I think I could handle that.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC