8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Best price for A1 266 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Best price for A1 266
Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 19, 2017 04:40 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody here know of a decent supplier of the Osram A1 266 (93631) lamp?

I know of some suppliers of these, but was hoping someone has found these at a better price maybe even by buying in bulk?

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 20, 2017 02:34 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew
Paul Foster is offering Osram Xenophots at 3 for £44.99. (plus post.)
That's where my last lamps came from.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted January 20, 2017 08:05 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you kindly Maurice. [Wink]

Paul's prices are very competitive for these lamps I have noticed.

I noticed Stuart here is selling some old stock ones (perhaps), for £10 a go.

I am just waiting for him to get back to me on another forum to see if they are Osram or not? (My preferred choice)

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 24, 2017 09:46 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ordered lamps from Paul and they arrived safely today. They are not xenophot but at the price I got them I will not complain (it was cheaper with the post and packing than what I couls have found on the continent). I don't remember having seen DNF xenophot bulbs by the way. Since I'm not sure halogen lamps will still be available in the UK, even if the Brexit will be completed, it is time to stock halogens as they are supposed to be banned next year from Europe.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 24, 2017 10:01 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I have quite a few of these already now thanks Dominique.
I honestly cannot see how the ban on halogen lamps can ever come about any time soon.

These kind of lamps are still in use in some older medical and surgical apparatus and most older cars still use halogen headlight lamps.

All of the new Xenon LED ones are the ones to ban! They are downright dangerous and ridiculously blinding to oncoming traffic on our roads.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 24, 2017 10:11 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I hope this will not happen but here is an article (in French) about that (tough it is not clear if they are talking about all the hallogen bulbs or only the "domestic" ones) : https://www.lenergieenquestions.fr/linterdiction-des-ampoules-halogenes-repoussee-en-2018-dans-lue/

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 24, 2017 10:16 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
There would be simply no point to banning one sector of the Halogen lamp market, while allowing another to continue and still be manufactured and readily purchased.

Not that this logic would ever make any difference to any EU laws. They do as they please, when they want, irrespective of what the people themselves would wish for.

The "Nanny" state.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 27, 2017 01:55 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that I have spare bulbs, I decided to use my Fujicascope SH 30 more and I moved it to another place. I don't know if it is the move, the difference of voltage or the just a coincidence but I noticed some short time (a fraction of a second each time)loss of lamp power, which is usually a sign that it is time to replace the bulbholder. The one in this projector is not usual (for Europe anyway). Does anyone know where it is possible to buy a new bulbholder and if it is easy to replace ?

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 27, 2017 02:01 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
This is one type of lamp holder that really ought never need replacing I'd say Dominique. They carry less current than the usual type and are built to handle probably 3 times what a regular one with pins inserted into it probably can. The contacts from the lamp are huge by comparison to the pins on A1 232 or 231.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 27, 2017 02:07 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I have a problem...

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 27, 2017 03:53 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be surprised if it was the lamp holder Dominique in this particular case.

This is the only projector lamp I've seen which needs no lamp reflector mounting bracket such is the strength and rigidity of just the lamp holder itself and probably the reason why only the lamp holder itself holds the lamp in position, by design.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 27, 2017 04:56 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only easy thing to fix I see is that the small round metallic part of the bulb was not fixed to it. The bulb that is in the projector is still the original one, so I didn't know it belonged to the bulb and not to the projector. With the new bulbd arrived, I understood by looking at them that the round metallic part failed from the bulb and I put it back to it. So the trouble could come from that (I don't see how but from what you say, Andrew, I don't see what else it could be). I will try to remove it again to see what happen. That will probably (as the projector is not at the moment where I live) on Thursday. The trouble is that I feared to use the projector because I had no spare bulbs and now I have some I will fear because of the non availability of new bulb hiolders...

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 27, 2017 11:39 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm slightly confused at this point Dominique, but as you have spare lamps, just change them and see where this takes you. From your description above it sounded like you were describing the exciter lamp not the main lamp???

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 28, 2017 01:52 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, I'm talking about the main lamp. Trying with a new lamp may be easier, indeed [Smile]

--------------------
Dominique

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 28, 2017 02:31 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are details of the A1/266 with picture. The large pins are better equipped to carry the current than some lamps with small pins.
http://www.lamps2udirect.com/photographic-studio-and-projection-lamps/ushio-9966251-24-volt-150-watt-a1-266-projector-lamp/143801

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted February 28, 2017 02:27 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm slightly confused at this point Dominique, but as you have spare lamps, just change them and see where this takes you. From your description above it sounded like you were describing the exciter lamp not the main lamp???

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 11, 2017 06:36 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I use the projector at this moment in a room that is not completely dark and that this will change later in the month by puting a more suitable curtain, I decided to keep the bulb until "the end" and see with a new one if things change. So far, I noticed several times (about two times for a 120mt/400ft) reel) the "bulb power lost" for a fraction of a second. Should I have the same problem with a new bulb, will that mean that there will be no solution ? Am I understanding well that there is no lamp holders available for that kind of bulbs ?

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 11, 2017 11:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't tried searching one to be honest Dominique, but rather than declaring it a "write off", I'd look to see if you could tighten the ferrules slightly before trying to find another.

That is of course assuming your fairly certain it is this component that think is the culprit here.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 27, 2017 01:11 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need a technical help. I screnned a film today with my Fujicascope and found the picture was dark. I tought it was the film. The bulb blew during the projection (for "natural" reasons) and I had the oppurtinity to replace it by a new one. The film was still dark although I had the feeling that the bulb was brighter in the projector. At the end of the projection, it appeared that without film the screen was poorly illuminated. One side was less bright so I believe the bulb is not well centred. I didn't see in the instructions a way to move the bulb holder. Is it possible by moving one of the screws seen on the two pictures I took (they are of poor quality because I took them with my telephone, soory about that)?

-

-

--------------------
Dominique

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 28, 2017 06:31 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody ?

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 29, 2017 01:50 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies for not being able to respond to you sooner Dominique, but I was unable to post to you sorry.

If the darker portion of the image on screen is to the left hand side of the image you view on screen, it could just be something as simple as the lamp not being seated all the way down to the base of the connector.

I've noticed myself already in the short time I have been using my own version of one of these, that the pins on the lamp entering into the lamp holder can be extremely tight to begin with.

This can only be a good thing really Dominique, as it at least means we are getting a good solid sound connection between the lamp socket ferrules and the lamp pins themselves, but it could also be a tiny watch out when fitting a new lamp, I noticed.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 29, 2017 02:20 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you for your answer, Andrew. Sadly, it's on the right side when you face the screen. I'll check again if the lamp is completely seated until the end of the bulbholder. Should I understand from your message that there is no way to correct a misalingment if the source of problem is different than the bulb not being completely installed ?

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 29, 2017 02:34 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
There may well be a way in which we can align this lamp holder better Dominique, judging by the amount of screws I can see fitted to it,..but as this is a machine I have had only a very short while so far, I have no means to answer you on that one for definite.

People such as Kevin Clark, Bill Parsons and Maurice Leakey have far greater experience with these machines than I have so far Dominique.
Perhaps they may be able to answer this question for certain if you wrote to them in private?

One thing I'd ask you to bear in mind though, if you will please,..
If you have never previously encountered a problem like this with your centred light output, why would that suddenly change now unless of course your lamp holder may have perhaps worked loose for some unknown reason?

Also please bear in mind that stocks of these particular types of lamps can be very old stock now in today's world.
They are by no means a common lamp anymore and do we know for certain that the lamp you have recently fitted came from a batch only produced in relatively recent times?

Problems can very easily occur from lamps stored incorrectly after many many years as has been highlighted recently by a long term respected member elsewhere Dominique.

--------------------

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 29, 2017 02:48 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that it is a strange phenomenon. Before the precceding bulb bluw, I noticed a poor lighting but (and that was a mistake) didn't try to enlight the screen without film so I cannot say if the problem is from the projector or from the bulb. Actually, I put a bulb bought from Paul Foster and it seems to be (from the box) a new batch. The projector is not where I am now so I will try later in the day to set the bulb correctly (if it is not already) and will try with a screwdriver if there is a way to change the alignment. I guess there is a reason if on many projectors it is easy to move the bulbholder to put the lamp on the right place.

--------------------
Dominique

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted March 29, 2017 02:58 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I too, do not have the machine stored here unfortunately Dominique, or else I would of course, taken a look inside it to give you perhaps, some ideas of what it may be.

As you purchased this particular lamp from Paul, I'd doubt very highly that the issue would then be due to anything suggested previously regarding lamp storage conditions over a prolonged period of time.
I have witnessed first hand how Paul stores his goods and all was meticulously stored any time I visited previously.

At this stage then Dominique, I can only suggest you ask some of the other guys who have had a wealth of experience owning one or more of these, if they might have any pointers or similar experiences in the past.

There are only a very select few Super 8mm projectors that I personally have come across, that actually provide any real axial or vertical adjustments within the lamp holder itself.
I am not certain that this model may be among one of them at this stage sorry Dominique.

Sorry I cannot be of greater help until I have the opportunity to look deeper into this via my own machine, but next time I have it out to use, I will look a little deeper into this for you.

--------------------

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC