8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » err i need help, What would you do here please?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: err i need help, What would you do here please?
Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 19, 2017 01:50 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where to start?
Remember back along i mentioned that i had acquired two Draper Onyx professional screens? Well, i finally got around to sorting them out. they are identical but unfortunately one has a corner missing so i have tried to put one together and genuinely thinking this is going to be a fantastic screen with mega reflective white material.
The problem here? The size.It is rather larger and is obviously 4:3 however, do i keep it but have no black border, (which is awful) or what? what would you do? This is not a screen you can put away.I dont want to waste it nor do i wish to scrap it. That would be sacrilege. [Confused]

-

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 19, 2017 03:33 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Cut the sides of the frame to give you the aspect ratio you're after Tom and then do likewise for the screen material
Then build it as per instructions.

Certainly too good to waste mate and you have a kit there to make an excellent permanent screen for your basement cinema.

Btw do you sleep in your fez? [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 19, 2017 03:40 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 20, 2017 04:54 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom
Does the screen material fit over the frame which you show hence your comment about no black border?
If it is a 4 x 3 ratio I suggest you should keep it at that provided you can fill it from Super 8 and 16mm projectors which are 4 x 3.
It appears that the screen will be a permanent fixture, if so, you can arrange some black masking at a later date at whatever ratio you need if necessary.
I assume the screen is somewhat like the one I have, if so, and the material stretches to fit tightly over the frame, it will not really be possible to trim it.

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 20, 2017 07:20 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, the black border is the actual frame you see here, the sreen material which is the whitest white i have ever seen, is supplied in a huge tube rolled up. The idea next to fit the material is to put the frame face down and the edge of the material has small tubes fitted through it, it is then place on the top edge,(behind), and fitted into the rear of the frame using plastic tubes which clip into the rear of the frame. It is a tight fit as obviously this is how the material is stretched tight.
It is a monster of a 4:3 screen but bigger than i can zoom up from the distance i project from. In fact that tripod screen you see lost in the centre is standard 60 inch screen. [Wink]

Now then, is there a ens that would do this or would the contrast be lost? I already use the 1.1

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted May 20, 2017 07:30 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
11mm is the closest focal length zoom lens I have ever seen.
I don't think the Elmo ones go down quite so far, maybe 12.5 from memory, but even then with 11mm, I'd need to sit the machine a good 15ft away from a screen of that size to have a chance of filling it on the sides.

What throw do you have in your cinema room Tom?

In our living room from 26ft away on full zoom, I can project a flat image wider than the room itself so at least 16-18ft wide I'd guess using the Xenovaron.

I'd build the screen as manufactured Tom and then mask the bottom of it with some black material to give you the actual aspect ratio you're seeking based on the complications of the framework contours you described earlier Tom.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 20, 2017 10:00 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I assume you are talking about an Elmo GS-1200. Mine with its f1.1 lens opens up to 12.5.
If that still won't fill the screen, as Andrew says, just mask accordingly.
With such a large screen it is important for the material to be fully stretched.

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 20, 2017 10:03 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks chaps. I think masking will be the way forward

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2017 10:22 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom,
I recently purchased a large roll up floor screen,and because it was too big,i masked it down to the size to suit my needs,using self adhesive felt tape,purchased from Amazon.
this tape is available in 1 inch or 2 inch wide sizes.
the effect of a really wide border is fantastic,i added rounded corners for a proper cine look,and being felt,there is no stray light coming back off the border.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted May 20, 2017 11:00 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seems to do the trick.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anti-Squeak-Rattle-Self-Adhesive/dp/B00UM5C29A/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1495293424&sr=8-6&keywords=self+adhesive+felt+tape

--------------------
Maurice

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted May 20, 2017 12:54 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that.

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted May 20, 2017 02:10 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the stuff I used Maurice.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC