8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » McCartney Seaside Woman

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: McCartney Seaside Woman
Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2009 10:07 AM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While in the Topfilm shop in Amsterdam today I was shown a list of films that were for sale and it included the great animated film Seaside Woman by Linda and Paul McCartney. Sadly, it was sold but now I'm in desperate search for another print. It said it was released by L.A. Films. Larry was this something you put out back in the 70's? I need any info possible to track this down. Please help!

|  IP: Logged

Jeroen van Ooijen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2009 11:16 AM      Profile for Jeroen van Ooijen   Email Jeroen van Ooijen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a nice video,here the link!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iYdEZuCgvw

I hope you find it soon!

Jeroen [Smile]

--------------------
Super8 that's the greatest hobby in my life,i was 9 to have my first viewer from GAF.

John W. Black
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 07, 2009 09:02 PM      Profile for John W. Black   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a dealer in the 70s-80s in calif who made bootleg prints of it also.Steve V.Larry would remember him.

--------------------
Beat em or burn em,they go up pretty quick

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 08, 2009 08:45 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a way to make a 16mm negative from a laser disc? I have the 8 inch version that includes Seaside Woman, plus two others. The big release on this disc is Rupert & the Frog Song. If I recall correctly the 3rd track would be something about a "Rumblefish." But I would have to check the LD to make sure. Maybe the entire LD should be done if possible.

I was also wondering if you guys would be interested in the short called IN-FARED SIGHTINGS a short by the band Grateful Dead. And yes, I have the LD of that, too. And come to think of it, there is one chapter from one of my favorite films of all times, "Koyyansqatsi" called "The Grid" that is perhaps the best example of day and night time - time lapse photography ever recorded on film. Those who have seen this movie know what I mean. This would be one of the best super 8 shorts of all time for those who appreciate it.

If it is possible to do it, I'd be willing to provide the master LD in exchange for a free super 8 copy with the return of the LD.

[ August 08, 2009, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: Chip Gelmini ]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 08, 2009 08:14 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Chip... you cannot make a negative from LD. Speaking from the basic thing about FPS will already counter the problems. Your LD must be NTSC because you are from the States.

Secondly, LD is a low resolution format compare to today's DVD or even now BluRay. (ps: on contrary, in the sound compression issue LD is superior than DVD).

If you put LD on big screen then you already see some lines.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2009 03:52 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pratically I think you can make a 16mm negative (or whatever on film) from a LD or other digital source. Im sure Kodak had a machine which could take a digital image and put it back onto 35mm film but you are talking Megabucks and more. I think I remember seeing a TV programme that Disney used it when cleaning up their early features. Its out of our pockets Im afraid.

The only real alternative to us is to film it off the TV [Big Grin]

Graham S

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2009 03:23 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chip - That's a nice idea but I'm hoping the old prints from the 70's look better than the laser disc. I have it too... and, while it's better than nothing, there is a lot of distortion in the animation's vibrant colors - which was typical of laser discs. By the way, the third track on the laser is another Linda McCartney tune, Oriental Nightfish... which I always thought was her tribute to Yoko... it's a bit more cutting edge than "Seaside Woman" with spacey images of a nude woman flying through the sky. Both these films won awards at animation festivals when they were released. And Seaside Woman was put out as "Suzy and the Red Stripes" a fictional band Linda and Paul came up with so people wouldn't automatically not play it when they saw Linda's name... I know, probably more info than you wanted to know!

-

[ August 09, 2009, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Brian Hendel ]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 09, 2009 03:56 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since most photography programs have a variety of options when working with stills, I've always thought some of the options could be used with making film negs.

One of those options is to convert any postive image into a negative image. Fairly easy and quick on one frame of image.

Much more involved with a movie length basis. However, think of the savings, after the cost of the machine, if we could take a video image and make a digital negative on a super computer, then bang out the positive prints we need.....

Still out of our budget. But it's a great thought :-)

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted August 09, 2009 06:48 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham wrote:

quote:
Pratically I think you can make a 16mm negative (or whatever on film) from a LD or other digital source. Im sure Kodak had a machine which could take a digital image and put it back onto 35mm
Graham, one most important thing we have to understand about LD in the beginning that although it is using a disc as a form of storage, but LD is an ANALOG video system.

We can read the basic info of LD from wikiepdia here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laserdisc

it reads:

quote:
The standard home video laserdisc is 30 cm (11.81 inches) in diameter and made up of two single-sided aluminum discs layered in plastic. Although read and featuring properties similar to a compact disc or DVD, a Laserdisc is for the most part an entirely analog system with video stored in the composite domain with analog sound and/or some form of digital audio.
So LD is just a better technology than VHS, but in the same system (i.e analog)

So, what we can practically do in terms of transferring to film is by taking image from screen with an 8mm camera when LD is playing. So anoter problem should be encountered, i.e flickers.

Of course, with Chip's LD we can bring it to a digital format by re-format his LD to a digital code and convert it to DVD.

But you already knew what the result will be, because it is already a second generation copy or even third generation (if we count from the LD master).

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

James N. Savage 3
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2009 01:46 PM      Profile for James N. Savage 3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a nice used print of this in the early 90's. I don't know who released it (I thought it was JEF Films), but the colors were excellent, and the sound was booming.

I traded it to someone in Germany, but I wish I still had it!

James.

Brian Hendel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 11, 2009 03:29 PM      Profile for Brian Hendel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're just making me want it more! I guess that's the fun part of collecting... if we had everything on our wish list what would there be to look for in life?

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC