8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm films for sale/trade/wanted   » I have Casablanca, Bringing Up Baby Plus 2 Optical Sound Features On Ebay

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have Casablanca, Bringing Up Baby Plus 2 Optical Sound Features On Ebay
Frank Cantone
Junior

- posted May 06, 2012 11:23 AM      Profile for Frank Cantone   Email Frank Cantone   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I currently have 4 features on ebay:
Casablanca on Color Stock $125
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320900899376?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Bringing Up Baby with Sepia Tint $125
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221017101846?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

Broadway Danny Rose Optical Sound seems to be on color stock has reddish tint $50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221017102558?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

In-Laws (1979) Color but reddish $50
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320900898616?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

All are on 1200' reels. I could not take screen shots because my GS1200 is broken but I do have photos of several frames from each reel.

Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 06, 2012 06:04 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can vouch for the excellence of image on Broadway Danny Rose. It is truly the sharpest super 8 print that I have ever ran into .... ever, and that is even in cluding Derann's output, and that is sayin a lot!

I had a friend that kept on trying to get me into 16MM ...

"You have just GOT to move into 16Mmand leave super 8 behind you"

... was the constant refrain!

I decided to mess with him. I had a little projection room set up back then, and I decided to fool him, saying I had a suprise for him. I projected "Danny" for him and he tuyrned back to loom at a smirkingOSI and saying, "You see?! I knew you'd come around!"

He was flabberghasted to find out that it was super 8 optical sound!

One of the finest examples in the film is a very deep focus shot looking down a high ceiling hote hallway (or lobby) late in the film. The image is so pin sharp that you can actually make out the actoprs clearly , even when they are at they're smallest in the image, way down the hall.

Pick up that film and you will be surprised as to just how sharp it is!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 07, 2012 05:47 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi, are you sure talking the same print. As Frank's post above states that this BW film is on color stock hence reddish/sephia tone.

I don't think someone will be amazed with a B/W print, no matter how sharp is the print, when seeing reddish/Sephia tone not that B/W is supposed to be on the screen.

B/W film should be best projected on black and white, no other tone.

My 2 cents though,

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 07, 2012 01:17 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was a habit with Black and white films released on optical sound super 8. I have this print with a lovely sepia tone, as well as an optical sound feature of "Stagecoach" (1939 version, yummy!) which is also sepia tone!

I couldn't say, however, as to whether Woody Allen desired this to be released in sepia tone. Perhaps, the original feature itself was released in sepia tone?

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted May 07, 2012 01:29 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I couldn't say, however, as to whether Woody Allen desired this to be released in sepia tone. Perhaps, the original feature itself was released in sepia tone?
He didn't and it most certainly was not.
[Smile]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 07, 2012 04:18 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps, the original feature itself was released in sepia tone?
Absolutely no way Osi....

Here is one segment of Broadway Danny Rose taken from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkF6lHBEb_8&feature=relmfu

It is pure Black and White.

The reason why some Optical B/W prints do have sepia tone just merely they were printed on color stock for cheaper price and Frank has mentioned this above.

You know after getting used at the Airplane, these films were supposed to be destroyed. So they didn't care about the quality.

--------------------
Winbert

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 08, 2012 08:46 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it was a matter of not caring about the prints, as the image quality on most of them (especially during the 80's) are pin sharp and they tended to use the absolute best negs, probably 35MM or at least a 16Mm taken directly from 35MM sources.

Now, when it comes to the film stock, they probably just used what was availalble at a bargain price, but then, sadly, most super 8 companies were more than capable of doing so. The best exceptions were companies like Derann that, once low fade stocks became available, they went with them at the first chance, and are'nt we lucky that they did?!

--------------------

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 08, 2012 09:15 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The best exceptions were companies like Derann that, once low fade stocks became available,
Yeah....but Derann also printed some B/W films on color stock resulting brownish or sepia look.

So this is just back to square one that most companies try to find cheaper way for producing its products....and that's normal.

Remember Osi, when LPP was used in 1990s there was no longer any (faded) Eastman in the market so had to choose between LPP, Eastman LPP or AGFA.

--------------------
Winbert

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC