8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm equipment for sale/trade   » Elmo GS-1200 For Sale

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Elmo GS-1200 For Sale
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 16, 2013 02:13 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elmo GS-1200 on eBay for sale (not mine!) which sounds pretty good. Here's the link:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-8MM-ELMO-SOUND-GS-1200-M-O-STEREO-CINE-PROJECTOR-/310739481453?pt=UK_Photography_VintagePhotography_VintagePhotoAccessories&hash=item485984336d

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 16, 2013 02:26 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the seller is an old time player and this is a reserved price listing, I believe the seller has set up the market price accordingly.

--------------------
Winbert

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 16, 2013 05:01 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the link it will have seen plenty of hours use on the clock reading the listing. [Eek!]

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2013 05:06 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lee. Is that good or bad. If it had just been stored for years everything would dryout. At least with constant use the inside workings should be free running.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 16, 2013 06:36 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah that is the question David when dealing with complex machinery combined with a box full of electronics. Having said that I’m sure matey will have given it the once over prior to listing it and as a business he will have a returns policy most certainly. I know when I parted company with some of my own GS boxes I spent ages running them in front of the purchaser at my film fair making 100% sure they were happy and understood how to work them. Interesting beast the GS but boy can it be troublesome particularly with very well used machines. By the way the Xenon model is nice providing the lamp doesnt explode as we had here many moons ago.

[ October 16, 2013, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Lee Mannering ]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 19, 2013 12:51 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've often been tempted into buying a GS1200 But reason tells me that they are far from new machines with too much to go wrong, too expensive and no doubt expensive to put right. I'll stick to my Sankyo 702 - a great performer and if I see a good 800 I may upgrade.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 20, 2013 02:20 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very true, Terry, I have spent a fortune on GS-1200 repairs and servicing. Most have had a busy life, not many bought for the home with little use.
The Sankyo 800 is a fine machine, I recommend it.

--------------------
Maurice

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2013 05:06 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice. I'll bear that in mind should I see one.

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted October 20, 2013 01:10 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The Sankyo 800 is a fine machine, I recommend it.
Likewise.

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 24, 2013 07:08 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Um just to add a little bit of balance...
I had a Sank 800 brand new and it had faults from the start. A pal of mine has three 800’s and all are now faulty. The simpler Sank models are better in the long haul I have found and light for carting out and about.

Re the Elmo GS1200. My take on any film projectors life span is based on how carefully the owner has used the machine and if a fault develops is he a ‘I can fix it’ man with very little mechanical or electronic knowledge. I’ve grown to love the GS machines and it sits nicely next to the Eumig wonder box.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2013 12:05 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well that's an interesting comment from Lee about the Sankyo 800. I was under the impression that they were ultra reliable like their brothers. But I suppose the more complex and sophisticated a machine is then it follows that, like the Gs1200, there is more to go wrong/fail, especially if they've had a hard life. I guess you pays your money and takes your chance?

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted October 25, 2013 11:39 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have owned tens of Sankyos, from 501 to 800 series. The most noticeable problem is the motor which is not strong enough.

I don't have anymore Sankyo. Only Elmo and Eumig.

--------------------
Winbert

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted October 27, 2013 10:07 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully Terry I am not sounding cynical about the good old Sankyo (Bell & Howell versions also) but my own new out of the box machine was a real nuisance due to poorly made dry solder joints in the main. As amateur film makers they were a really popular machine offering good recordings and light output but the lamp cooling could have been better as directly you switched to 18fps the cooling from the fan attached to the drive motor slowed considerably which in the end caused the plastic lamp house cover top to bend and the front gate plate to warp due to heat build up. We would be kidding ourselves if any of us thought a single super 8 projector was ever manufactured that didn’t have design faults and that includes a GS1200. One thing I will say about the GS is its certainly of solid build quality as my aching back will also vouch for.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2013 02:19 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Lee not at all. It's great to get hear the experiences of others. That's the only way we can make an informed decision. I have to say that I mainly use my 702 at 24fps so I haven't suffered from the over heat problems yet and I will certainly take care if I ever use it at 18fps. Many thanks. By the way I saw the You Tube clip of you doing your George Formby renditions and being something of a guitarist in days gone by, I can see that you have great talent. Keep it up and one day we might see you on X Factor !

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC