8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » General Yak   » Wonderful World Of The Internet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wonderful World Of The Internet
Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 11, 2011 11:20 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last year I had a go at "Google maps" for the first time to see if the old garage I served my apprentiship in Scotland was still around and it was, not only that but street views as well....amazing stuff. The last time I saw the place was way back in 1971-72 when I left. I never had a camera of any sort in those days so no photos, I wish I did. Back then we had a trailer park next to the place for the americans that were working on the submarine base. My old boss being X Royal Navy himself used to corner them when they came in, light up his pipe and recount stories the old Navy days. [Eek!] The americans thought he was great, he did serve on the battleship HMS Hood and later transfered as chief engineer on smaller craft operating in the English Channel during the war. We never made much money out of the place...to much talking, [Smile] but he had led a most interesting life. He sold the business and although I was offered a job, it was time for me to move on. We did have the biggest breakdown truck in the area a Studebaker and the smaller three and a half ton Dodge that had a six cylinder side valve which was hand cranked "there was a knack to starting that" [Eek!] I used to get paid extra if the job was dangerous. I did take some chances as you do when you are young, dont you. [Smile] Looking at those google photos certainly brought back memories. The boss died in the mid 1970s and I owe a lot to that old garage. I completed my apprentiship which in turn led to me being accepted as an assisted immigrant to NZ in 1973.
 -
Back then the roof was flat and in the winter time water got in everywhere.
 -

Graham.

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted May 12, 2011 10:27 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Neat story, thanX dude!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted May 12, 2011 11:14 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

If you happened to see the movie "Into the Wild" ("Into the wild" in IMDB ) is a very touching story about an idealist student made his own adventure to Alaska and finally he died in an abandoned bus.

Many people nowadays returned to his route to visit the actual bus.

For example can be seen in this youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4IC6ghMb60&feature=player_embedded

This is the photo of the bus taken from very close distance.

-

But not too many people have that guts or time or money to visit the actual bus.

So voila ....google provide you with satellite view:

-

AMAZING......!

BTW, it is a good movie...you should watch it!

--------------------
Winbert

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted May 12, 2011 05:04 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Winbert

Thanks for the link, I certainly will.

The technology behind Google maps and street views for all to use is amazing. I also used it to find out where I once lived in Glasgow and left in 1964. Although much had changed a lot was still the same even the bus stop was still in the same place and the primary school I attended. [Eek!] With street views I crossed an old railway bridge and that brought back memories of the fire engines putting out a fire one of my friends accidently started "playing with matches" [Roll Eyes] causing the railway embankment to catch alight. I cant say what happened to me over that incident except it wasn't very nice. [Eek!]

Graham. [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC